Talk

Advanced search

What percentage of books do not bother reading to the end?

(4 Posts)
MrsTiddles Thu 10-Jul-08 19:43:03

I am trying to turn a leaf. I used to be quite harsh and would toss a book aside at around page 50 if I was a) bored b) felt it was badly written or silly etc

but I just read The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (and commented on that thread) all the way through, to great reward, when my instincts for the first 50% of the book were to toss it.

Now I'm thinking about all those books I failed to finish and wonder what gems I may have missed.

Anyway, interested to know how many you start but don't get to the end of. And when I say start, I mean more than the first 10 pages while standing in the library / bookshop etc.

suey2 Thu 10-Jul-08 19:45:47

good question. Before DD i would say i finished 90%. Now i probably finish about 30 % - and in all likelihood only the really crappy ones that make you feel slightly seedy afterwards

googgly Thu 10-Jul-08 19:48:31

I practically always finish novels, but tend only to get 1/2 way through "improving" non fiction. I always mean to pick them up again, but rarely do.

janeite Thu 10-Jul-08 19:52:35

Can't say a percentage (I don't "do" numbers if I can help it!) but really it depends on how many other things I have to read at the same time. If I'm bookless other than the one I'm not enjoying, I may well persevere for a 100 pages or so: otherwise I use the 50 page rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now