Talk

Advanced search

Possession, by A S Byatt

(14 Posts)
PrettyCandles Tue 08-Jul-08 14:42:16

Does it improve? I know it's supposed to be fantastic, but I'm losing the will to live! Should I make the effort?

booge Tue 08-Jul-08 15:00:29

Yes, it never really gets going as such but it is beautiful and you will have the satisfaction of having finished it.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 08-Jul-08 15:01:10

Oooh - there was another thread on this last week!

notcitrus Tue 08-Jul-08 17:31:37

Is it one of those books that just goes into graphic detail about someone's crappy relationship for chapters on end?

I can usually read anything and finish it, but I've given up on Possession twice now around page 100. It just gives off a depressing vibe, as if it's going to wallow in bad relationships.

Heated Tue 08-Jul-08 17:38:18

I can normally plow through anything but have hit the brick wall twice now with this novel

TheFallenMadonna Tue 08-Jul-08 17:39:35

I like it. But you have to stop hoing it will perk up. Because it doesn't.

PrettyCandles Tue 08-Jul-08 18:42:56

OK, so it sounds like the sort of book you have to be in the right sort of mood to read.

I shan't discard it then.

charliegal Tue 08-Jul-08 21:34:55

Ooh, hated it, not anything like as good as the originals she is pastiche-ing. Srah Waters so much better at this.

cornflakegirl Tue 08-Jul-08 22:30:55

I really liked it, but I did get stuck several times. I had to skim read some of the letters and poetry bits because I found them too hard-going.

mumdebump Tue 08-Jul-08 22:37:29

I loved it, it does move on from the bad relationships.

squeaver Tue 08-Jul-08 22:39:49

Yes it does. It's a wonderful book

claudiaschiffer Wed 09-Jul-08 00:31:07

ooo how interesting, I just posted almost exactly the same op a week or so ago!

I did finish it but found the first 200 pages or so really boring. To be honest it never really picks up in pace but I did get absorbed in the relationship between Randolph and Christabel. It is a lovely love story but I found all that show-offy poetry a bit um . . . show offy.

I am discussing it at book group tonight. I think we may come to blows as a few of the women *absolutely loved* it, and I am going to be a bit rude about it grin.

Elasticwoman Wed 09-Jul-08 21:55:53

I didn't see the point of Possession till I saw the film. It's a bit literary, and up itself, but it does have some good ideas, which are covered in a lot of extraneous words.

MrsFogi Wed 09-Jul-08 21:58:09

i nearly gave up but am so happy i didn't it is one of my favorite books - keep going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now