Talk

Advanced search

"Blood cooled by Calvin, mist and bog/And summers in the rain." Anyone recognise this?

(17 Posts)
singersgirl Mon 07-Jul-08 21:30:18

This quote is driving me mad. It's not fiction, but the end (I think) of a poem by a Scottish poet, but I can't find it anywhere and no-one I ask knows it (and I even asked some Scottish poets).

The collective power of Mumsnet must yield answers, surely!

OP’s posts: |
singersgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 14:42:31

Come on, all you ferociously literate and extraordinarily well-read people! Help me out here. I can't have made it up; I'd never have thought of it.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 08-Jul-08 14:45:32

Calvin Klein,is that ?

singersgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 14:46:47

Oh, I was all excited that you knew it....I think it was an adolescent angsty type thing, about growing up in the Highlands or on an island.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 08-Jul-08 14:48:27

sorry,was trying to place it in time,so obviously contemporary ?

SixSpotBurnet Tue 08-Jul-08 14:50:03

Thought it was a description of Gordon Brown at first!

specialmagiclady Tue 08-Jul-08 14:53:22

No it's Calvin the protestant, isn't it. Sorry. Can't help. But it's rather good isn't it.

singersgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 21:17:36

Yes, it's definitely about someone who had the same sort of upbringing as Broun, but went on to be a poet, not PM. And, yes, it's harsh Protestantism that cooled the poor chap's blood.

Thanks for thoughts, anyway.

noscat Wed 09-Jul-08 20:55:30

Try Abebooks - they have a booksleuth section which managed to find me the title of a poem that I remembered a bit of from school. good luck

singersgirl Wed 09-Jul-08 21:50:04

Thanks for that suggestion, Noscat. I will try! It's really bugging me. I'll let you know if I find out.

FlossieTCake Wed 09-Jul-08 21:51:36

It's not Seamus Heaney, is it? Sorry, I see the word "bog" in a poem and automatically think of 'North'...

FlossieTCake Wed 09-Jul-08 21:52:08

Oh duh - you said Scottish poet. Pay attention, Floss...

singersgirl Fri 11-Jul-08 10:09:40

Well, I thought Scottish, but I could be wrong. Only I think if it was Heaney more people would recognise it. But will have a look at Heaney. Thanks for the suggestion.

singersgirl Sun 13-Jul-08 23:39:46

In case anyone's interested, and for those that suggested anyone, it turns out it is Laurie Lee from his book Many Coated Man - it may even be the poem of the same name, but I've yet to get hold of a copy. Not Scottish at all, then!

Bink Mon 14-Jul-08 14:34:18

How did you find it, in the end? - it's of an obscurity! (If you just remembered by yourself, I like that you had a "tag memory" of adolescent growing up. Which is, of course, Laurie Lee all over.)

singersgirl Mon 14-Jul-08 23:01:58

I posted on Abebooks, as noscat suggested, and somebody answered me. It turned out that they had just looked for it in Google Books. Now I never even knew there was a Google Books, so I have been clearly looking in all the wrong places.

I was minded of it because I spent a few days recently in the wilds of Inverness-shire and every time I stepped outside onto the hillside the phrase came to me unbidden.

My Many Coated Man does ring bells, and I remember studying Laurie Lee poems. I shall look for it next time I go to the library!

JayC031 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:35:14

I have also had that same poem fragment in my head for many years. Thanks for finding its origin. I have always known when it lodged in my head and that was during my Eng Lit 'O' level but I had forgotten who wrote it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97544289@N06/sets/72157634146256490/

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in