Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read The Book Thief?

(20 Posts)
Spaceman Thu 03-Jul-08 17:00:24

Read it, loved it, but not sure I understood it on all levels.

If you have read it what did you get out of it?

TwoIfBySea Thu 03-Jul-08 19:30:39

I enjoyed it, packed full of metaphors and similies though, almost to distraction from the story but as a style I liked it. And having Death as a character, considering the time it was set, was quite effective.

See, I managed that and didn't put any spoilers in for anyone who hasn't read it. grin

MrsTiddles Tue 08-Jul-08 13:04:17

I have just received a copy from amazon. The whole concept of Death as character/ narrator really appeals. Will now see if it pays off!

Wisp Tue 08-Jul-08 13:39:11

Loved it, best book I've read in ages
Oh how I bawled though!

BeachBunni Tue 08-Jul-08 14:51:01

Think I'm about the only person who didn't like this book. It was a struggle for me to finish it as it bored me to tears.

Turniphead1 Tue 08-Jul-08 14:52:47

beachbunni - our book group's reaction to it was on the whole largely negative. Loads of people rave about it though.
I found the "death" narrator interesting to start with but rather hackneyed by the end.

fryalot Tue 08-Jul-08 14:54:43

I really enjoyed it, but I have known people who couldn't get on with it at all.

I don't know whether I would class it as a work of great literary genius, but it kept me interested and I liked it.

BeachBunni Wed 09-Jul-08 09:04:03

Glad I'm not the only one turniphead. I'd bought it because I'd heard so many people saying they loved it. That's exactly what I thought - interesting concept but not enough to keep me going.

littlepinkpixie Wed 09-Jul-08 09:13:04

I loved this book. It was my book groups favorite book to date too.

KTP Wed 09-Jul-08 16:17:32

Yup, I'm another lover of this book. It was my book of the year last year I think. Cried buckets. Loved death as the narrator. Loved so many aspects of it. Learn lots too - which is always handy!

Love2bake Wed 09-Jul-08 16:22:24

Yes I loved it.

It was interesting to hear about the war from a german families perspective.

mammyofET Wed 09-Jul-08 16:48:16

Yes I just finished it last night and this book raises emotions.

I cried at various points throughout at the depth of human evil and kindness. Brilliant.

hifi Thu 28-Aug-08 16:55:51

agree love2, we always think we had it bad.
finished the last 30 pages on the plane home and had a wet wipe to my face.
the imagery is amazing, squeezes every ounce out of every sentence.

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 17:01:04

I cried so much when I read it especially when he described taking souls from the concentration camp .
I also liked how death was quite a nice guy really .
Some bits I didn't totally get but I rushed it because I just couldn't put it down but it is on my reread list.
I think it maybe my favourite book this year .

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 17:01:05

I cried so much when I read it especially when he described taking souls from the concentration camp .
I also liked how death was quite a nice guy really .
Some bits I didn't totally get but I rushed it because I just couldn't put it down but it is on my reread list.
I think it maybe my favourite book this year .

aaaarrrgh Thu 28-Aug-08 22:58:58

aww, I LOVED it. Is now in my TOP 5 books ever!

Cammelia Fri 29-Aug-08 12:16:45

My dd (11) has just read it and loved it.

roisin Fri 29-Aug-08 12:39:36

I got it for Christmas, I think. Tried it and didn't get on with it.

I picked it up again yesterday and have read the first 100 or so pages, but I'm still not gripped by it.

I guess you're all telling me to persevere.

Is it right that the children's edition is actually a significantly different/edited book, not just a re-cover?

Cammelia Fri 29-Aug-08 12:40:51

Is there a children's edition?

Dd read the adult book.

LurkerOfTheUniverse Fri 29-Aug-08 18:01:25

I thought it was 'young adult' fiction

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now