Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Book, P&P only

(15 Posts)
Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 15:07:07

I have several books up for grabs - all just for P&P costs.

BOOK 1: The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Folwer

Shortlisted by of the Richard & Judy book club for the British Book Awards 2005

"Book Description
Six people – five women and a man – meet once a month in California’s Central Valley to discuss Jane Austen’s novels. They are ordinary people, neither happy nor unhappy, but each of them is wounded in different ways, they are all mixed up about their lives and relationships. Over the six months they meet, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable – under the guiding eye of Jane Austen a couple of them even fall in love…. "

Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 15:08:17

BOOK 2: The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
Came free with a magazine

"Amazon.co.uk Review
It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. It turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behaviour is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!" "

Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 15:09:00

BOOK 4: Tuppence to Spend by Lilian Harry

"Dan Hodges is devastated when his wife Nora dies during the early days of the war. Working long hours in a Portsmouth shipyard, how is he to look after his two sons, Gordon and Sammy? Then Gordon, something of a tearaway, is sent to an approved school, which leaves young Sammy alone in the house until neighbours in April Grove intervene and Sammy is evacuated to Bridge End, a village near Southampton. Ruth Purslow, a young childless widow, takes him in, her compassion aroused by his plight. Slowly, as they grow closer, Ruth begins to dread the time when Sammy must return to Portsmouth ...TUPPENCE TO SPEND is a vivid wartime saga of colour and authenticity capturing both the harshness and the warmth of life during the dark days of the Second World War. "

Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 15:09:47

BOOK 5: One Hit Wonderland by Tony Hawks

BOOK 6: How to lose friends and alienate people by Toby Young

"In 1995, high-flying British journalist Toby Young left London for New York to become a contributing editor at "Vanity Fair". Other Brits had taken Manhattan - Alistair Cooke, Tina Brown, Anna Wintour - so why couldn't he? Surely it would only be a matter of time before the Big Apple was in the palm of his hand. But things did not go according to plan. Within the space of two years he was fired from "Vanity Fair", banned from the most fashionable bar in the city, and couldn't get a date for love or money. Even the local AA group wanted nothing to do with him. This is his account of the five years he spent steadily working his way down the New York food chain, from glossy magazine editor to crash-test dummy for interactive sex toys. But it's not just a collection of self-deprecating anecdotes: it's also a seditious attack on the culture of celebrity from inside the belly of the beast. "

Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 15:10:16

BOOK 7: Weekend in Paris by Robyn Sisman

knot Mon 31-Jan-05 15:21:31

hi , could i have book number 6 please if its not already gone

Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 15:24:16

Yes, it's yours. P&P will be £1.15 first class, or 94p second class. If you e-mail me at claireandrich(at)beeb(dot)net to swap addresses.Depending on when I get it, it may go out in today's post.

I suspect most of the books in the list will be around the same.

knot Mon 31-Jan-05 15:27:26

Can i have book 4 as well please, Send them 1st class, pleae, have emailed you let me know your address and how much i'll post the cheque to you tomorrow.thanks

Hulababy Mon 31-Jan-05 18:53:15

Oops - missed that you wanted book 4. I will parcel it up and DH can post it tomorrow from work. Book 6 is on it's way.

knot Tue 01-Feb-05 08:44:23

great thanks will post cheque this morning. thanks

knot Tue 01-Feb-05 16:38:59

hi got the book today, cheque posted thank you

Hulababy Wed 02-Feb-05 16:52:19

Books 1, 2, 5, ad 7 still around if anyone wants them.

Hulababy Wed 02-Feb-05 16:52:45

knot - the other book shoud be on it's way.

ktct Thu 17-Feb-05 14:25:44

i've never actually written on here before, but could i have book 1?

Hulababy Thu 17-Feb-05 20:44:59

Really sorry, but all the books have now gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now