Talk

Advanced search

Absolutely Unputdownable Books Part 2

(149 Posts)
nm Thu 20-Jan-05 19:18:24

Hope nobody minds me setting up a new thread - other one very long.

Come on ladies - give me your ideas

Lonelymum Thu 20-Jan-05 19:19:28

Haven't seen the other thread. What are you after? Books we have found unputdownable? Recently or in the distant past?

nm Thu 20-Jan-05 19:23:33

Doesn't matter - am in 2 book groups - all mums so don't have much time to read therefore need "unputdownable" books that we will make the effort to read instead of vegging in front of the telly!

doggiewalker Thu 20-Jan-05 19:32:50

I was only thinking today nm of asking fellow mumsnetters for their favourite books that I could trawl my way through - thanks for doing it!

A good author I have found recently is Tess Gerritsen. Modern forensic type thrillers but very easy to read much better than wotsername. (sorry, brain's gone).

Amanda3266 Thu 20-Jan-05 19:40:23

Okay, I am a real literary chav these days. I used to like more intellectual stuff but then I had a baby and now all I can cope with/have time to read is chick lit and old familiar books from my childless past which require no analysis.

Here's the list.
Books I fall asleep face first in

Pride & Prejudice. (Oh Mr Darcy, one is overcome)
Rivals. Jilly Cooper
The Man who made husbands Jealous Jilly Cooper (told you it was bad didn't I).

Books I devour when I'm awake and have time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Anything by JK Rowling (okay I know us adult Harry Potter fans are "sad" but I think the books are fantastic - and the next one is already on order from Amazon).
Anything on Tudor history (I am married to Henry VIII - honestly)

Too tired to remember anyhting else.

Mandy

Gwenick Thu 20-Jan-05 19:42:00

Oh the one book that still rivets me even now (and I hardly ever read anymore) was

The Secret History - Donna Tartt (poor women with a name like that you'd have though she may have changed it by deed poll LOL).

Frizbe Thu 20-Jan-05 19:42:06

Birdsong.

LapsedGymJunkie Thu 20-Jan-05 20:24:06

Lovely Bones. Alice Sebold going to be a film so read it whilst it is still pure so to speak.

Lucky. Alice Sebold

Tuesdays with Morrie. Mitch Albom

Five people you meet in Heaven. Mitch Albom

Michael J Fox's Autoboigraphy, took it on a family holiday and my brother and sister were standing over me waiting for me to finish it.

And to my eternal shame P.S I love you, and the other one Where rainbows end or meet or something equally trite.

One wonders if she would have been published if Daddy wasn't the Irish equivalent of Prime Minister.

If you want a scary read "Dick the man who is President, it outlines how Dick Chaney clawed and I mean clawed his way to the top, and is effectively the power behind the throne. Scary stuff.

LapsedGymJunkie Thu 20-Jan-05 20:25:24

I hated the secret history, and yet my sister loved it.

yoyo Thu 20-Jan-05 20:27:12

Once in a House on Fire by Andrea Ashworth. This is brilliant and simply unputdownable.

Gem13 Thu 20-Jan-05 20:30:49

'A Fine Balance' - Rohinton Mistry. I'm still managing to find friends and family I haven't given this to yet. A fantastic story set in India (but very down to earth no Salman Rushdie magical realism here). It will make you cry and upset you so probably best not to read when pregnant.

LapsedGymJunkie Thu 20-Jan-05 20:31:17

Books that change your life ??

Sorry nm but you did ask

C Because cowards get cancer......... John
Diamond.

And this was brilliant.

Happily married with one-year-old twins, Ruth Picardie was only thirty-two when she was diagnosed as having breast cancer. With almost unbearable intensity, she described the progress of her illness in a series of articles in the Observer. When Ruth died in September 1997, she was mourned by thousands who had never even met her. Before I Say Goodbye brings together these articles, e-mail correspondence with friends, selected letters from readers and accounts of her last days by Ruth's sister, Justine, and her husband Matt.

LapsedGymJunkie Thu 20-Jan-05 20:32:48

Before I Say Goodbye

sorry that star was the start of the title in bold

Socci Thu 20-Jan-05 20:41:29

Message withdrawn

piffle Thu 20-Jan-05 20:50:47

I still love Vanity Fair and War and Peace...
I adore Anita Shreve, but also agree that Before I say goodbye tortured but gladdened the soul...
I like Alice Sebold, too sad...
I am currently reading up on history of Israel and Ireland and reading both Bill Clintons biog and David Blunketts
neither life changing mind you...

albosmum Thu 20-Jan-05 20:53:38

sorry to be predictable but life of pi, captain corelli, lovely bone
absolute fav "a suitable boy@" v long but well worth it

miffy2 Thu 20-Jan-05 21:19:19

I was given Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (hurray, have discovered new author with plenty of books published for me to devour...)

Wonderful story based in Amishville, Pennsylvania. Newborn baby discovered dead in farm, young girl suspected. Could not put it down, and have her latest novel, My Sister's Keeper, ready to read this weekend.

I also love anything by Paullina Simons - another US author with quirky and far-ranging topics (Russian revolution love story, angst-ridden teenager story...)

Satine Thu 20-Jan-05 21:25:10

LOL at Amanda3266's 'literary chav' - snap. I'm so lazy that I use Richard & Judy's lists at the library. But I did enjoy Toast by Nigel Slater and Lucia Lucia by Adriana Trigiani from the last lot. Both quite easy to read and really enjoyable.

Harrysmom Thu 20-Jan-05 21:30:38

Summer Madness - Susan Lewis, a good raunchy read!

LapsedGymJunkie Thu 20-Jan-05 22:51:37

Socci

I read Secret History in 19 hundred and frozen to death, or it feels that way, think I may have been in the first tranche of readers. Just remember being totally frustrated with it towards the end.

I agree, that Lovely Bones was a bit schmaltzy, ok more than a bit at the end, but it was beautifully crafted in the middle and for me was very spiritual. I lost a good friend 20 years ago along with three other peripheral members of the community (not that they were peripheral, but they were to my life IYKWIM).

Maybe that is why Mitch Albom appeals so much.

The longer I live the more I miss her.

When I was preganat I wanted to call DS/DD after her, but it would have been right up there with a Boy named Sue or in this case a boy named Y

Vic69 Fri 21-Jan-05 11:09:44

'The Scarlet Petal and The White' by Michael Faber - completely unputdownable and much loved by anyone I have given a copy to.

Anything Sarah Waters writes is utterly compulsive, and in a sort of similar vein, so is Emma Donoghue - 'Slammerkin' was my favourite Xmas present. 'Small Island' is brilliant, for once a book really deserves the hype.

expatkat Fri 21-Jan-05 11:25:52

I've just thought of one I didn't mention on the other thread.

This will seem like an eccentric choice, maybe, but it is UNPUTDOWNABLE:

^The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat^ by the neurologist Oliver Sacks.

It's a work of nonfiction, about patients with strange brain disorders that made them do and feel the oddest things, including the man referred to in the title, who had an inability to distinguish the borders or outlines of things, and therefore could not perceive the difference between his wife or any other object such as a hat. It's set up almost like a collection of short stories, with each chapter focusing on a different character.

It may sound boring, but it ISN'T and I couldn't put it down!

littlerach Fri 21-Jan-05 16:39:33

I have just finished Big Stone Gap, Adrianna Trigiani, and am reading her new one, so good, nice and easy to read, great books.

spacedonkey Fri 21-Jan-05 16:41:03

oh yes, I second the Oliver Sacks book expatkat, absolutely brilliant!

nm Sun 23-Jan-05 01:06:58

Have just ordered Before I say Goodbye. Keep going ladies - I love hearing people's experience of books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now