Talk

Advanced search

anyone read.....

(9 Posts)
helsi Thu 20-Jan-05 13:59:12

The American Boy by Andrew Taylor or The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger?

Just bought them in Smiths on buy one get one half price. they look good but want others opinion on them if you have read them.

helsi Thu 20-Jan-05 14:19:23

bump - nearly disappeared from bottom and won't be on now till I go home tonight

LIZS Thu 20-Jan-05 14:25:13

Time Traveller's Wife -think it is same one but don't recongise the author. Read it for a book club. Took a bit of getting into and is a bit strange.

helsi Thu 20-Jan-05 14:42:50

Its about Clare and Henry who meet when she is 6 and he is 36. They marry when she is 22 and he is 30. Impossible - but true because he suffers from a rare condition where his genetic clock periodically resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future.

LIZS Thu 20-Jan-05 14:49:02

That's the one! It flicks about a lot so you need to concentrate because you sometimes see events from her perspective, sometimes his and sometimes both ! A few are revisited so that they fit into the chronology and then you get both versions, but at different stages of the narrative ! Quite poignant in places.

MummytoSteven Fri 21-Jan-05 13:13:43

read the American Boy. good but doesn't half go on a bit. also felt that the Edgar Allan Poe theme was a bit overworked iyswim. nice gothicky thriller.

Soraya1 Sun 23-Jan-05 17:09:38

Am reading the Time Traveler's Wife at the moment - really enjoying it!

spykid Fri 28-Jan-05 16:45:06

Just noticed this thread, I read the Time travellers Wife when it was first published , early last year I think. I LOVED it.
Read it and let me know what you think, I would love to know what someone else thinks of it.

Lara2 Sat 29-Jan-05 12:37:08

I finished reading TTTW a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it too. The fact that Hanry wasn't always a very sympathetic character meant that it wasn't a sugary sweet story. It was beautifully written and very clever. I wonder how she managed to keep track of all time travelling when writing it? The ending was perfect - definately one of my all time favourites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now