Yup

OhComeLetUsADiorHim Sat 18-Dec-04 20:22:25

Forgot 'Miranda's Big Mistake' - Jill Mansell

turquey Sat 18-Dec-04 20:23:26

Hens Dancing - Rafaella Barker
A Married Man - Catherine Alliott
Don't you want me - India Knight
Rivals/Riders - Jilly Cooper

All time favourite - One for the Money (and all the rest of the series) - Janet Evanovich.

spacedonkey Sat 18-Dec-04 20:26:38

blimey, i've never read any of these

read "I Don't Know How She Does It" and thought it was disappointing

does alice walker count?

OhComeLetUsADiorHim Sat 18-Dec-04 20:33:36

'Last Chance Saloon' - Marion Keyes

I do read intelligent books too Just like to believe in a happy world occasionally, where the girl gets a man who is good-looking, hung like a donkey and good in bed.

turquey Sat 18-Dec-04 20:33:46

Has to have a neon cover or else a picture of totty on the front!
I seriously disliked "I don't know how she does it".

feastofstevenmom Sat 18-Dec-04 20:34:45

yep not keen on I don't know how she does it. maybe it passed for revolutionary amongst her pals, but she didn't exactly chuck it all in to live on a remote scottish island, did she?

feastofstevenmom Sat 18-Dec-04 20:35:04

and a really silly girly font for the title!

feastofstevenmom Sat 18-Dec-04 20:39:32

thing with marian keyes is she deals with some v serious issues - sometimes (especially Rachels Holiday) I think that the happy ending is a bit bolted on. think there is a serious novelist hiding inside the chick lit persona

turquey Sat 18-Dec-04 20:42:02

Wasn't there an adaptation of one of hers on the tele a year or so back? With Letitia Dean in it? Put me off reading any of it - it was terrible!

MrsEvs Sat 18-Dec-04 20:43:09

I love a rubbish read!

Anything by Jackie Collins is marvelous. Also really like the Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic series.

Most recently read the latest Helen Fielding one, Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination - really enjoyed it.

Oh God I could go on all day about trashy novels, but you should get my sis on this thread. She did English at Kings and did a huge project on why Hollywood Wives was a better novel than Middlemarch!

merrykittymas Sat 18-Dec-04 21:31:10

I love all Marian Keyes' books especially Watermelon and Sushi for Beginners.

Sophie Kinsella's shopaholic series could be based on me it's so funny.

Used to read a book a week on the commute to and from work and couldn't handle anything too serious once read A Child Called It on the train with tears pouring down my face.

MaryChristmas Sat 18-Dec-04 21:31:37

The nanny diaries

turquey Sun 19-Dec-04 02:09:00

I read 'Dont you want me' on a packed commuter train snorting with laughter, everyone looked all embarrassed and english and didn't want to be near me.

CathB2 Tue 21-Dec-04 12:46:41

I found a surprising amount of chick lit whilst trying to clear some bookshelves. I used to consider them my flu books, anyway...

Rivals by Jilly Cooper.
Marian Keyes
Imogen Parker
Cathy Kelly
Maeve Binchy (some)
Jill Mansell (some)

I find I am switiching to books with older characters in lately , I get impatient with hopeless 20 year olds trying to find a man. Mature chick lit perhaps

JanH Tue 21-Dec-04 12:58:34

I'm reading I don't know how she does it at the momnt, and I like it...

bundleofyulelogs Tue 21-Dec-04 12:59:41

janh, it was the first title i thought of when i saw this thread..it's a page-turning read and I'm not too embarrassed about it

JanH Tue 21-Dec-04 13:21:09

Thanks, bundle!

I think it's actually well-written (unlike some) and has some lovely real family bits in it. (All the jetset travel-and-shoes stuff is right over my head, and squashing mincepies and steaming labels off Bonne Maman is just silly, but that's OK.)

lockets Tue 21-Dec-04 13:21:10

Message withdrawn

littledonkeyrach Tue 21-Dec-04 13:30:14

Janet Evanovich is ace!!!

And Rafaella Barker's are great.

Jane Green, Freya North, Jennifer Cruisie, all designed to make me feel nice!!!!!

pinkytrio Sun 02-Jan-05 09:15:37

Has anyone read Christina Jones or Katie Fforde? They are both totally brilliant. I also like Madeleine Wickham (aka Sophie Kinsella, but can't read Sophie Kinsella!), Patricia Scanlon etc.

vict17 Sun 02-Jan-05 10:36:13

I love the Shopaholic books and everything by Jane Green and Marian Keyes. Can't believe no-one has mentioned Bridget Jones' Diary! Also like lad-lit like Tony Parsons and Mike Gayle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now