Talk

Advanced search

The Gift Of Rain (can't remember author). Anyone read it?

(7 Posts)
MrsMuddle Thu 15-Nov-07 22:14:46

I've just finished this book, and I can't get it out of my head. It was fantastic, but I have a question about it. Has anyone read it?

MrsMuddle Fri 16-Nov-07 21:04:23

Anyone?

margoandjerry Thu 03-Jan-08 19:07:06

OK browsing through some very old threads here! Yes I read it and I have recommended it to loads of people. I found it really compelling. Read it in the summer though so don't remember it well enough to be able to answer any tricky questions...

AgentProvocateur Mon 24-Oct-11 21:49:45

Resurrecting this for GaramMasalaGirl (and anyone else who's read it!)

Here's what I posted on my book club thread about the relationship:

I think there was a deep love there, although it would always be unrequited. I lived in Malaysia about 10 years ago, and even then (and perhaps even now...?) homosexuality was illegal. However, SLF's husband has a different take on it from his knowledge of all things ancient. An interesting question. Interestingly, DH didn't take that from the book at all - he just didn't see it as an issue.

GaramMasalaGirl Mon 24-Oct-11 21:55:35

Hi AP/MrsM I'v longing to have a good old talk about this...

So do you think they were lovers but that element was downplayed for some reason?

And also, do you think that they were finally released from the endless cycle? In all their previous lives Endo San kills Phillip but in this life it's the other way round...so do you think they were finally free!

Which was the most memorable part of the book for you? I was heartbroken and literally sobbing and hiccuping at the part where Phillip is replaced by his father.

(apologies for the scant details, I'm anxious not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it)

GaramMasalaGirl Mon 24-Oct-11 21:58:19

X-post!

Interesting! What are your memorable parts?

AgentProvocateur Mon 24-Oct-11 22:30:03

It's so long ago since I read it - I really should re-read it. I personally think that they would have been lovers in another time and another culture. But DH thought that it was just love and respect between a master and pupil and not anything sexual. And my RL bookgroup was split on the relationship too.

I loved the descriptions of Penang, and I hadn't realised how sudden the Japanese invasion was. The wounds of that are still deep even now, and the Japanese expats were hated in Malaysia. I found all the family deaths really heartbreaking - how did Philip carry on?

I'm definitely going to re-read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now