Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find lighthearted books about single women

(38 Posts)
MsKL Sat 16-Jan-21 12:18:59

I do like lighthearted books. Trying to recover from depression and anxiety, struggling to concentrate on anything heavy. But why are they all centred around finding love?! Is that all we've got to look forward to?

Any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
Hobbes8 Thu 21-Jan-21 20:52:54

Olive by Emma Gannon might fit the bill - chick lit but about a break up and it’s aftermath.

Or expectation by Anna Hope, which I loved.

Both about female friendships as some people get married and have children and others don’t.

Feawen Thu 21-Jan-21 20:46:52

A different type of recommendation, but any of Terry Pratchett’s witches books would fit the bill. Two formidable old ladies protecting their community from dark fates of which it’s members have no conception, while having a good bicker.

Someone might or might not marry a king at one point, but it’s very clear she’d be settling for less than the witchy future she could have wink

kmmm0 Tue 19-Jan-21 04:49:24

How about:

Miss Benson''s Beetle- Rachel Joyce
Dear Mrs Bird- A J Pearce
The Confession- Jessie Burton

These might fit what you're looking for? Hope you feel better soon flowers x

katy1213 Tue 19-Jan-21 03:52:33

How about Miss Hargreaves (Frank Baker)?

katy1213 Tue 19-Jan-21 03:44:29

And even Miss Pettigrew finds that thermal undies are no bar to romance. It is a lovely, light-hearted book, though.

katy1213 Tue 19-Jan-21 03:42:27

Barbara Pym's heroines always seem desperate to nab a curate!

LunaNorth Tue 19-Jan-21 03:05:37

Cold Comfort Farm is just the ticket.

Also, Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day.
The Girls by Liz Gilbert.
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

HeronLanyon Tue 19-Jan-21 02:59:38

Mapp and Lucia books - some great audio read by Miriam margolese (I have no idea how to spell her surname !) there are a few husbands floating around but not so as you’d notice given the fierce sharp-elbowed jostling for position going on between all of the women. Laugh out loud funny.

MsKL Tue 19-Jan-21 02:55:53

Oh, I used to read those a long time ago. Lovely books. Thanks for reminding me smile

SkeletorAttack Tue 19-Jan-21 02:18:13

A very gentle read is the Fairacre series of books by Miss Read, all about an unmarried schoolmistress, her village school and the (gentle) adventures of the village herself.

It is a really sweet, nostalgic read of a rose-tinted 1950s village and the protagonist is really content with her fulfilling single life.

MsKL Tue 19-Jan-21 01:51:24

Great thanks, I'll check them out.

I'm just not in the mood for reading about love at the moment.

SnickersnotMArs Mon 18-Jan-21 19:54:15

Good vibes Good life - Vex King.

I’ve just started reading it today so far so good.

MaudTheInvincible Mon 18-Jan-21 19:53:57

Another vote for Barbara Pym! I'd also recommend Sylvia Townsend Warner and Stella Gibbons.

princessspotify Mon 18-Jan-21 19:51:24

Sorry just read the op again. Maybe not Jill Mansell as they're lovey dovey

princessspotify Mon 18-Jan-21 19:50:02

Jill Mansell writes fairly light-hearted books about single women

MsKL Mon 18-Jan-21 12:35:43

Thanks, I'll look at that.

In the past I've loved books like The Queen and I.

TheWindOnTheMoon Mon 18-Jan-21 09:36:03

Have you read Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams? It's modern, she's single but thinks she wants a relationship, although that's not what she really needs. I read it last year. Lots of strong female characters. I loved it.

BobbinThreadbare123 Sun 17-Jan-21 20:11:21

I know it's crime, but Sue Grafton's Alphabet series is great. Kinsey Millhone is a great character. She's a PI in California. Series starts in 1980 when she's 30, and finishes as it turns to 1990 and she's 40. Except poor Sue died just after she finished Y....doesn't take away from the series tbh.

StrikingMatches Sun 17-Jan-21 20:07:49

Not a work of fiction but I love this Rough Guide travel book. It features lots of stories of women who travelled alone. I found it very inspiring and the places visited are so diverse.

Viviennemary Sun 17-Jan-21 20:03:52

I second Or even third Barbara Pym. Though a younger person might find them a bit dated.

MsKL Sun 17-Jan-21 18:51:20

Thanks. Im not sure if it'll be a bit too old fashioned, but I'll download a kindle sample and see. I do prefer current day fiction.

TheWindOnTheMoon Sun 17-Jan-21 12:18:26

@MsKL I'd start with Crampton Hodnet. It's my favourite Barbara Pym and it's very funny.

MsKL Sat 16-Jan-21 22:51:25

Definitely! There must be other things to write about than love?

BooFuckingHoo2 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:40:33

Someone needs to write a book about a modern day single woman who’s still single at the end of the book grin.

DemolitionBarbie Sat 16-Jan-21 15:38:14

Lolly willowes is good. It's interwar tho.

Spinster aunt is so fed up with family using her as a skivvy that she goes to the country and becomes a witch.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in