Talk

Advanced search

The Weight of Small Things by Julie Lancaster

(5 Posts)
sallyjuliet Sun 27-Dec-20 19:40:42

Has anyone else read this book? I picked it up on a whim at my local bookshop and I’ve just finished it. Such an emotional book! I think it will stay with me for a while!

OP’s posts: |
eliavigil Fri 22-Jan-21 07:26:14

I read this book about a week ago and I’ve been struggling to review it. It’s such a great book that no matter what I say won’t give it the credit it deserves.

Frankie is a strong likeable nine year old girl. We get told most of the story from her point of view. Her story isn’t an easy read but a story that needs to be told sadly.

From the way the story is written to the storyline and characters the author had my attention from start to finish. I can usually inhale a book in one sitting but I didn’t with this one. Maybe it’s the topics included or I just wanted to savour the words. Great praise to the author on bringing certain topics to the forefront. I’ll certainly be recommending this story to my reader friends.
wobble man flowers flowers

sallyjuliet Sat 23-Jan-21 20:54:49

Ahhh! At last, someone else who’s read it and enjoyed it! It was so well written. I agree with the not devouring it in one go thing. I read it quite slowly. I’ve got a 9 year old son and the thought of him living through what Frankie lived through made me cry!! I’ll definitely recommend it to friends. I always find it harder recommending an emotionally tough book.

BigBadVoodooHat Sun 07-Feb-21 20:52:52

I’m intrigued, I have a child of a similar age to Frankie and I get deeply emotionally affected by books/films with children going through distressing things.

Is this book going to be too unsettling for me to read? sad

sallyjuliet Sat 13-Feb-21 20:22:37

It is unsettling but in my opinion worth it. Give it a go smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in