Talk

Advanced search

reading swallows and amazons for the first time...

(94 Posts)
casbie Mon 17-Sep-07 15:47:27

quality writing and pure childish escapism - fantastic!

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 17-Sep-07 15:48:15

Hurrah!

RosaLuxembourg Mon 17-Sep-07 21:58:25

And the best thing is - there are lots of them.

casbie Tue 18-Sep-07 11:41:39

i like Roger the best - he's just like my ds.

excitable, always getting scrapes and scratches and falling off things.

Dd is just like Susan and my littlest could be a dead ringer for Vicky!

makes me want to get a boat and go sailing.

very envious of the kids freedom, me being a mum to three and working full-time, i would love to spend a fortnight sailing and swimming and camping!!!

oggsfrog Tue 18-Sep-07 11:51:04

Vicky? I don't remember a Vicky - who was she?

PestoMonster Tue 18-Sep-07 11:57:17

She was their little baby sister.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 18-Sep-07 11:58:06

Vicky is the baby who is actually called Bridget, but nicknamed Vicky because she looks like Queen Victoria!

ChippyMinton Tue 18-Sep-07 11:59:22

I re-read it recently, then found a film of it on DVD - wonderful stuff.

oggsfrog Tue 18-Sep-07 12:02:35

Ah. Had to get my copy down and flick through...
"...little Vicky, a fat baby, like the pictures of Queen Victoria in old age, full of all sorts of needs."
I'd forgotten her smile

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 18-Sep-07 12:05:44

Where is TooTicky? She is a fan too.

PestoMonster Tue 18-Sep-07 12:09:17

Ooh, ooh, we've got the DVD too and you can also get a dvd with two old television series of Coot Club and The Big Six on it. It's called Swallows & Amazons Forever though (confusingly). 'tis a good one for a rainy day. smile

bossykate Tue 18-Sep-07 12:09:19

i loved swallows and amazons! only thing was it made me so wistful - i longed to be able to do what the children did!

UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 12:15:51

It's good stuff. From the days before children's books became PC-ridden and an industry to promote franchises under pseudonyms.

The film is very faithful too. You can get it in a twin-DVD pack with The Railway Children: lookee here

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 18-Sep-07 12:18:20

<sorry for hijack - UQD I don't suppose you have a moment to look at my thread here? Desert island literature is involved so it is sort of relevant to this thread, actually.>

Blu Tue 18-Sep-07 12:20:57

I lived S&A as the parallel fantasy life in my head. I was Nancy. Still am!

UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 12:21:06

Have popped in and commented, kathy.

casbie Tue 18-Sep-07 14:17:08

i've always wanted to be george out of the famous five.

her own boat, island and lashings of ginger beer!

Notyummy Tue 18-Sep-07 14:33:09

I had a secret base (when I was about ten) with friends who had also read the book. We couldn't sail so it was next to a small stream (!!) We made a flag for ourselves and nailed it to a tree. I hit a boy with a broom handle and gave him a black eye for trying to tear it down. I would probably have been given an asbo or added to the crime stats these day....but back then our parents expected us to sort it out ourselves.

Can I just add, I'm in my 30s...not 88!

FluffyMummy123 Tue 18-Sep-07 14:33:47

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Tue 18-Sep-07 14:38:24

I don't remember a Vicky when I read it - wasn't the little sister called Titty? Renamed Kitty in one of the films because of the inevitable sniggers (one teacher who read it aloud to us when I was about 7 used to pronounce it Tie-ty)

SoMuchToBits Tue 18-Sep-07 14:42:26

Vicy was, as someone already said the baby who is really called Bridget. In the first book she doesn't come into it much, as she is a baby and therefore too young to join the others on their adventures, but in later books she is more prominent, but by then known as Bridget.

I also love the books, and am hoping it won't be long before ds is ready to read them (I still have copies of most of them).

WigWamBam Tue 18-Sep-07 14:43:43

I'm sure she was originally Titty.

She was actually called Mavis but her family called her Titty after Tittymouse in a story called Tittymouse and Tattymouse.

Sounds like they have just made it a bit more PC!

SoMuchToBits Tue 18-Sep-07 14:45:07

No, no there were five of them altogether - John, Susan, Titty, Roger .....and Vicky/Bridget. In the first book, Roger (the youngest of the other four) is 7 years old, and Vicky/Bridget is still a baby.

WigWamBam Tue 18-Sep-07 14:46:34

Ahh ... so tis my memory letting me down.

I'm getting old, you know wink

DumbledoresGirl Tue 18-Sep-07 14:47:09

Vicky/Bridget is definitely the fifth member of the family - not with them on any of their adventures I think.

I was a fan as a child and still have all my copies but have not yet found a willing accomplice in any of my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now