Talk

Advanced search

OK, I admit it. I was wrong. You were right - Desiderata, Frogs, Bink, Slowreader, 3Madboys, and everyone else

(18 Posts)
roisin Sun 16-Sep-07 09:37:09

DS2 is sat on the stairs reading Enid Blyton: Famous Five - at this time of day!
He loves them - of course, and wants to read all the time grin

His new teacher also has a 'reader of the week' award, for the pupil who gets their reading record signed most frequently, and ds2 narrowly missed out this week. He's very competitive and is desperate to win this week!

earlier thread for inf.

slowreader Sun 16-Sep-07 11:39:21

Oh well done both of you! Towards the end of the series I would sneakily interweave with Roald Dahl etc.

roisin Sun 16-Sep-07 12:49:35

Thanks slowreader. He has actually read most of the Roald Dahl, already. But I will certainly sneakily interweave other books.

I am borrowing EB books from friends and colleagues, so I'm already planning that sometimes a new one "won't be available", so he will have to try something else grin

EscapeFrom Sun 16-Sep-07 13:00:01

ahhh

Grown ups hate EB, my own mother used to pour scorn upon it.

Children LOVE it. They find it very exciting.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 13:00:22

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 13:00:29

Message withdrawn

EscapeFrom Sun 16-Sep-07 13:01:00

My brother loved a book called 'Hatchet' about a boy who gets lost on a desert island. He read that book to tatters, and never really got so engrossed in anything else.

Desiderata Sun 16-Sep-07 13:03:40

Thanks, roisin grin

I wish I was your boy right now, sitting on the stairs, devouring the Famous Five!

This will be his bridge ..

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 13:04:17

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 13:04:56

Message withdrawn

roisin Sun 16-Sep-07 14:32:27

Yes, I agree Cod, and he loves Grk (thankyou) and Varjak paw (I can't remember who recommended those on here): some of the most demanding books he has read. (He's 8).

He just gets it into his head that he "can read X" or "does like Y" and won't attempt new things. I want him to get to the stage where he just really loves books/stories, and will read a whole range of material.

Anyway, at least he is reading and getting lost in a book. Even if it is EB wink

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 14:33:56

Message withdrawn

roisin Sun 16-Sep-07 14:42:08

Maybe it's a second child thing?

Why were you trying to get him to read Captain Underpants? hmm
Do you have the Cressida Cowell/Hiccup books?

DS2 needs quite a bit of 'support' to get into a book. [With the first EB book we took turns to read a few pages to each other for the first 4 chapters (2 evenings) before he was hooked.] But once he's into it, he's off. He started the second EB book himself without any 'support'.

It's OK at this stage of term when I still have some energy left at 6.30 in the evening.

But once I get really busy at school, I can't be bothered to read with/listen to books that I don't even enjoy blush

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 14:42:42

Message withdrawn

roisin Sun 16-Sep-07 14:57:39

Cressida Cowell books

You can "look inside" on this link to Amazon.

They are very funny books, and well-written. In many ways they 'appear' to children to be similar to Horrid Henry (with the funny pictures, cartoons, ink blots, general slapstick silliness, etc.), but actually they are considerably more demanding on the reader.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 18:00:16

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sun 16-Sep-07 18:00:58

Message withdrawn

roisin Sun 16-Sep-07 20:01:02

Yesterday was good thanks
Didn't sleep well on Friday night, but got through Saturday OK.
Thanks for asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now