Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chapter books for dd4

(8 Posts)
hotcrossbunny Tue 11-Sep-07 16:03:07

My dd loves stories and I think she would probably really enjoy a simple chapter book we could pick up/put down at night, but I don't know where to start.
We're reading 'My naughty little sister' which she loves but I can't think of any more. Is she too young for Enid Blyton?
I think she'd probably need a few pictures, but not as many as in a normal picture story book IYSWIM?
Thanks

hotcrossbunny Tue 11-Sep-07 17:00:52

Anyone?

RosaLuxembourg Tue 11-Sep-07 17:12:02

First of all, Ramona the Pest by Beverley Cleary. American but great fun.
Book People have a new illustrated version of Pippi Longstocking which looks good.
There is always Milly Molly Mandy - some love it, some find it v v dull. In our family only DD1 has really liked it.
There are loads of Enid Blyton story collections floating about - personally I find them excruciating - especially the Faraway Tree etc but I know lots of people love them.

Bink Tue 11-Sep-07 17:18:31

H+B: it's a question we book-clubbers love ...

The usually favourite suggestions are

- Roald Dahl - especially Fantastic Mr Fox, Esio Trot, and The Enormous Crocodile
- Enid Blyton - Wishing Chair and Magic Faraway Tree
- Dick King-Smith, Sophie stories

And here are some links to threads with more ideas

thread 1

thread 2

thread 3

(I found them by searching on "Dahl" in the Book Club topic, by the way.)

hotcrossbunny Tue 11-Sep-07 17:39:47

Sorry blush should have checked first... Thanks for answering anyway though! Will wirte my list and check which ones the library can come up with.

hotcrossbunny Tue 11-Sep-07 17:40:01

Should be 'write'

McDreamy Tue 11-Sep-07 17:42:23

DD is at the same kind of stage. SHe has loved the Roald Dahl books, Amelia Jane, The Magic Faraway Tree, The Owl who was afraid of the Dark.

harrisey Fri 14-Sep-07 11:33:06

Pippi Longstocking

Little Old Mrs Pepperpot

Littlenose the Hunter/Littlenose the Hero

Faraway Tree

Moomin stories

We also have a great bok called 'Swords, Sorcerers adn Superheros' by Michael Morpungo which is retellings of Classical stories such as Jason and the Argonauts. Not chapters as such and some stories need to be done over 2 nights, but it is great , both dd1 (7) adn ds (5) love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now