Talk

Advanced search

Recommendation needed for atmospheric cosy-ish mystery or thriller

(32 Posts)
ellanwood Sat 28-Mar-20 22:34:18

Hi
I want something easy and fast-paced to read to take my mind off the news. Would love a mystery or thriller without many gory descriptions. Really atmospheric setting would help.
I loved the Jackson Brodie and Cormoran Strike series and really loved The Goldfinch. Also enjoyed Tara French. Something along those lines.

Any ideas who I should try next? Not sleeping well and just want to download something to Kindle and get lost in it. Thanks so much.

OP’s posts: |
cdtaylornats Sat 28-Mar-20 23:18:35

www.thefussylibrarian.com/

If you read ebooks in any format try the above - you get daily sets of free books in various genres including cozy mysteries.

LadyGrey66 Sat 28-Mar-20 23:20:43

The Hunting Party could fit the bill!

thatonesmine Sat 28-Mar-20 23:24:22

Try Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver, a tale of murder and madness in the Fens in Edwardian Times. Atmosphere in spades.

BestIsWest Sat 28-Mar-20 23:28:52

The Ruth Galloway series by Ellie Griffiths. Easy reading, great characters. Perfect.

thatonesmine Sat 28-Mar-20 23:29:22

Ooh thefussylibrarian looks great

ironicname Sat 28-Mar-20 23:34:10

The Unexpected Return of Josephine Fox by Claire Gradidge is a double mystery set in WW2 England.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 28-Mar-20 23:48:17

How about the Shetland books, by Ann Cleeves? Very atmospheric setting, and great stories. Raven Black is the first one.

BestIsWest Sun 29-Mar-20 09:24:34

Yes, agree with SDTG, Anne Cleeves is brilliant. Vera books are great too.

highlandcoo Sun 29-Mar-20 12:04:33

Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries, set in the village of Three Pines in French Canada, are great.

A ridiculous number of murders occur in this picturesque village full of artists and poets, where everyone meets in the bistro for delicious croissants and coffee. Arnald Gamache is a decent reassuring presence throughout.

Highly recommended for these unsettling times.

ellanwood Sun 29-Mar-20 12:12:25

Thanks for all the recommendations. Definitely fancy those Inspector Gamache mysteries. That sounds exactly what I'm after. Ridiculous murder, poets and croissants. Thank you! grin

I've read Ann Cleeves - yes she'd be perfect but I've read so many I fancy a change.

poppadopolis Sun 29-Mar-20 12:57:50

David Baldacci - The Christmas Train.

Very different to his usual thrillers (which are also great but not quite what you asked for )

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sun 29-Mar-20 13:08:04

If you like something a bit more old fashioned, what about the Lord Peter Wimsey novels, by Dorothy L Sayers.

riotlady Sun 29-Mar-20 15:24:39

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz is great, it’s a murder mystery within a murder mystery and has lots of nods to Agatha Christie

ilikebooksandplants Sun 29-Mar-20 18:10:03

I've enjoyed Nicci French's books in the past. I also liked The Hunting Party mentioned upthread so a second vote for that.

Pinkerpellosa Sun 29-Mar-20 18:11:57

Val McDeirmid's Karen Pirie books are great

Zebracat Sun 29-Mar-20 22:53:27

I love William Shaw. Very well written. First few are set in 1970s London, and then the later ones in present day Kent.

Xylophonics Mon 30-Mar-20 16:07:48

As well as Magpie Murders, Anthony Horowitz' latest detective novels are good, the Word is Murder. The Sentence is Death .

Settlersofcatan Fri 03-Apr-20 05:03:57

Josephine Tey - especially Brat Farrar and The Franchise Affair

ellanwood Fri 03-Apr-20 12:54:48

@highlandcoo I just finished the first Inspector Gamache. Thanks for the recommendation. You weren't kidding about the 'delicious croissants and coffee' - I got carb overload just reading it.

HarlanWillYouStopNamingNuts Fri 03-Apr-20 13:08:43

Seconding Anthony Horowitz. You might also try the Mitford Murders series by Jessica Fellowes. I haven't read them yet so would be interested in opinions, but they look like they would fit the bill - it's a series of murders each featuring a different one of the Mitford sisters.

FFSFFSFFS Fri 03-Apr-20 13:10:16

I second the Hunting Party.

And I am currently gorging very happily on Agatha Chrisite.

HarlanWillYouStopNamingNuts Fri 03-Apr-20 13:10:36

Sorry, murder mysteries - no Mitford sisters are harmed, so far as I know!

ellanwood Fri 03-Apr-20 14:04:53

I love Anthony Horowitz anyway, so will definitely look at all suggestions of books by him.

NotNowPlzz Fri 03-Apr-20 14:08:30

Alison Golden. They are short cozy mystery reads.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in