Talk

Advanced search

Audible Credit - What should I get?

(6 Posts)
applesnotoranges Tue 24-Mar-20 19:53:43

I have an audible credit and am just thinking about what I should get.

Thoughts so far

The Institute- Stephen King

Grown Ups - Marian Keyes

Book of Dust - Philip Pullman

The Testaments - Margaret Atwood

Any others that are particularly well read. I love Charles Dance and Tom Burke voices.

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
seekingwaxwings Thu 02-Apr-20 14:14:59

I'm in the same position, I have an audible credit but can't make up my mind what to spend it on! I think I might go for Case Histories by Kate Atkinson as I enjoyed other books of hers on audible.

I have recently loved Fingersmith narrated by Juanita McMahon, The Five narrated by Louise Brealey (has a little music at the start of chapters which added to the atmosphere), The Woman in White narrated by Ian Holm and Life After Life narrated by Fennella Woolgar. I am quite fussy about audiobooks and don't hesitate to return those that have a bad narrator so be assured those all passed my exacting standards! grin

Portulaca Thu 02-Apr-20 16:39:32

I've recently used credits for Grown Ups by Marian Keyes, and. The Other Bennet Sister by Janice Hadlow.

Xiaoxiong Thu 02-Apr-20 16:48:28

My criteria for an audiobook, as opposed to buying the book itself, is something which is just too hard to read on the page and probably needs a bit of editing. So exciting, punchy books are pointless by audiobook because reading the book would be just as good. Instead I use the credits for big books which I find hard to get into where a good audiobook with an excellent narrator keeps me going.

I'm currently listening to Barchester Towers read by Timothy West. He is such a wonderful actor and has turned a book which I found a lot of turgid Victorian hard going prose on the page into one of the funniest books I've ever read. I found myself actually laughing out loud while making dinner the other night listening to it, it's such deadpan dry humour and I never would have realised it if I hadn't downloaded the audiobook.

applesnotoranges Fri 10-Apr-20 11:09:04

Thank you for your suggestions.

applesnotoranges Fri 10-Apr-20 12:25:44

Looking at woman in white and barchester towers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in