Talk

Advanced search

Michael Rosen's Sad Book made me sniff and fight back tears

(15 Posts)
Twiglett Mon 10-Sep-07 15:56:39

serves me right for not reading it before reading it to the children

<wails>

grouchyoscar Mon 10-Sep-07 16:05:37

Is that the one about the death of his son?

I here it is very moving

grouchyoscar Mon 10-Sep-07 16:07:03

sorry... hear

<<Grouchy shuffles off ashamed at her schoolgirl error>>

RosaLuxembourg Mon 10-Sep-07 23:09:27

I don't think I could read it aloud. I can't even manage Goodbye Mog without sobbing.

kitsandbits Mon 10-Sep-07 23:14:56

Does anyone have a copy they no longer want that I could buy? I would really like to read this

x

Bink Tue 11-Sep-07 12:26:26

I don't let my children see it ...
It is fantastically powerful, and a very beautiful, true, special thing, but it should carry a warning I think.

It's the elderly man turning to look up at the nurse that I carry with me.

bundle Tue 11-Sep-07 12:27:58

it's an amazing book. we've had a few deaths recently and read it to our children.

Bink Tue 11-Sep-07 12:29:47

Yes - I think if there were deaths in the close family I would turn to it. Similarly John Burningham's Grandpa. But otherwise, kept out of reach.

bundle Tue 11-Sep-07 12:30:13

also Goodbye Mog is good for younger children

startouchedtrinity Tue 11-Sep-07 12:30:29

I've heard of it too, I really like Michael Rosen. sad Think I will get it for the dcs, we have had several bereavements and I can't pretend that being sad doesn't happen.

Hassled Tue 11-Sep-07 12:35:17

I can't read it to my children - it should be called Michael Rosen's Very Very Sad Book Indeed. It's heartbreaking. Not helped that I have a son with the same name as his - even thinking about it makes me well up.
A good book re bereavement is called "No Matter What" and again, makes me teary - the gist of it is that the parent will love the child even when he's being badly behaved and even after the parent's died.

Earlybird Tue 11-Sep-07 12:42:03

Thanks for reminding me of these books.

Sad to say that my Mum's cancer has returned, and atm she is deciding what treatment she'll have, or if she'll have any at all. I've been thinking about how to prepare dd, and help her cope with what is probably ahead. It will be good to keep these suggestions tucked away for when they're needed. DD adores Michael Rosen's other books (especially after we saw him perform this summer), so perhaps she will be especially comforted by his words.

Bink Tue 11-Sep-07 13:03:19

Earlybird, I am so sorry.
Badger's Parting Gifts is another one I've seen recommended.

The thing about Michael Rosen's book is that it is really quite unadornedly frank about bereavement - at a level adults recognise - hence this thread. Grandpa (as I mentioned below) on the other hand has lots & lots about the relationship between a grandparent and a child, and it is clear from the pictures as you go through that the grandparent is becoming unwell; then at the end the child is contemplating an armchair which is empty. But it stops there, has nothing about the consequences of grief, which is what the Sad Book is really about.

I think Grandpa may be more at a child's level?

Marina Tue 11-Sep-07 13:08:10

It helped ds a lot after we lost Tom. As much to help him understand why his dad especially was so sad
It is a beautiful book, but needs to be used with caution

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 11-Sep-07 13:11:28

I'd love to read it too - I always recommend Max Velthuis' Frog & The Birdsong for little children - very sim ple and gentle and I think reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now