loader

Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendation for 9-12s and above - Nathan Fox

(8 Posts)
hewlettsdaughter Thu 06-Sep-07 20:56:55

My ds has just really enjoyed this book:

Nathan Fox: Dangerous Times

He's 8 but I think it would suit older readers just as much if not more (it tells the story of Othello and thus could be deemed quite violent!)

I quite often steer him towards books I liked or have read about, but this was one he chose himself.

roisin Thu 06-Sep-07 21:09:00

Ah, interesting. It is on our bookshelf - an odd one that I can't remember where it appeared from, but no-one in our household has read it.

DS1 has just got the latest Hive book, so I won't get any sense out of him until he's finished that.

He's also picked up the new Vampirates book, but I'll point him the direction of Nathan Fox when he's finished.

hewlettsdaughter Thu 06-Sep-07 21:15:47

I noticed your mention of Hive on the thread about what people's kids have been reading over the summer. Sounds like just the sort of thing for my ds.

Have just looked Nathan Fox up on lovereading4kids.co.uk and it says 12+ shock. Although a review on Amazon says it made the shortlist for the 2007 Waterstone's Children's Book Prize in the 9-12 category.

MrsWeasley Thu 06-Sep-07 21:17:17

Thanks for those suggestions.

My 10 year old has just read stoneheart and would recommend it.

hewlettsdaughter Thu 06-Sep-07 21:20:47

Looks good MrsW.

I find I am getting much more excited about children's books than I am about adult ones at the moment. Is it just me?

MrsWeasley Thu 06-Sep-07 21:23:28

nope not just you grin

The adult ones i've tried reading are all either so boring and predictable or about how dreadful some persons life had been. Not the sort of thing I want to read before bedtime!

roisin Sun 09-Sep-07 17:57:17

grin I've been determinedly ploughing my way through Griff Rhys Jones's autobiography that dh recommended to me and finding it tediously dull and boring. I was falling asleep every night after reading about 3 pages!

But ds1 recommended HIVE to me - bk1&2, and I read them both in a couple of days: couldn't put them down at all.

hewlettsdaughter Sun 09-Sep-07 21:16:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now