Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Starting Young!

(15 Posts)
Gloria42 Sat 01-Sep-07 14:33:59

Hi
I LOVE reading and when I was a child always had 2-3 books on the go at one time. Really want DS to love reading too and would like any advice you might have on how to get started.
Admitedly he is only 8 months and it might be a bit early hmm, but no harm in it???

peachygirl Sat 01-Sep-07 14:46:14

Hi I read to my DD who is 6 months. sometimes at betime and sometimes in the day.
I like the farmyard tales stories published by usbourne. I got a great deal with all off them for about £13 from the bok people.
The 'thats not my' books are also great.
Books that rhyme are also goood,I like Hairy Maclary by Lynley Dodd, Allen alberg is also good I have a book called 'monkey do ' which is lovely.
I think rhymes are good as they are obviously very rhythmic and therefore accessable to little ones who might not look at the picture. there are lots of old faves too, 'Dear zoo' 'The hungry caterpillar' etc.
I teach children with SEN and eas accessable stories are ones I regulaly look out for .. thats where I found the monkey book. I would also suggest reading a book several times and it has been suggested on the sleep threads (I was browsing last night)
to read the same book every night as a sleep cue.
I have got some really lovely books in the 3 for 2 offers in Waterstones or Borders

claricebeansmum Sat 01-Sep-07 14:48:21

If you DC always see you and DH immersed in a book then IME it catches on...

peachygirl Sat 01-Sep-07 14:57:05

Thats easier said than done claricebean. grin If I get a chance to read it's because DD is sleeping!

MrsWeasley Sat 01-Sep-07 15:03:49

my DS had books from birth, the board ones or cloth ones first then progressed.

I had a mindee who could rip books of any thinkness so got some from local sales/charity shops etc so that I didnt worry and oddly enough the 10p ones fast became firm favourites.

When I put my DC on their play mats or in their highchair to watch mummy I always included 1 book in the selection of toys.
I always had a book in the car and even in their pushchairs.

HTH

peachygirl Sat 01-Sep-07 15:05:13

DD loves a cloth book with scrunchy pages from tesco.

I've worked with a 'ripper'too mrs weasly and have had several books eaten

dissle Sat 01-Sep-07 15:09:44

we started to go to the library once a week from about 12 months and chose a couple of books a week. We still go now and ds is 4, he LOVES books.

we have shelves and shelves of books ourselves for ds and he knows them all very well.

birthdays and xmas we ask for books for him.
we looked at books at bed time every night, i never READ to him, we looked at and described pictures and scenes from books till he was about 3ish.
there are thse usbourn feeliy books which are simple and fab for tiny wee ones.
Our library have a "for sale box" in the children section selling old library books for 25p, i buy these regularly rather than new books.

like you i read loads as a child and im hoping that ds will love books too as he gets older, i will try to encourage him to read before seeing film versions of books.

dissle Sat 01-Sep-07 15:11:22

dera zoo, we L O V E D that book and read it over and over and over.
the very hungry catapillar and we are going on a bear hunt.
this is the bear is lovely too.
God, there are so many wonderful childrens books out there arent there!

ImBarryScott Sat 01-Sep-07 15:19:15

My dd is 6 months, and we've persevered with books from birth. She's had a library card from 12 weeks. She's moved from ignoring them, to slapping them, now to actually looking at them and turning pages of board books.

Her attention span is obviously limited at this age and some of the classics eg Gruffalo, hungry caterpillar are a bit long. Anything with faces, and colours goes down a treat though, and the biggest success has been the Dorling Kindersley (sp?) Touch and Feel range, which we borrowed from the library.

MrsWeasley Sat 01-Sep-07 15:21:20

oh yes, the library, our local one does a story time once a week its great for the little ones. Someone different reads to them other than mummy and they see other childen enjoying books too. I used to take mindees (not everyweek maybe but often enough to make it special)

dissle Sat 01-Sep-07 15:23:30

i do think that if they are interested then they just are, if not you cant force them.

my nephew isnt interested in the least, but then he has those hand held computer game type things or is in front of the telly, same age as ds.
shame

MrsWeasley Sat 01-Sep-07 15:26:37

I agree but if your DC isnt a book lover dont give up hope. My DS (aged6) was never a book baby, unlike my other 3, but recently he is choosing to read and actually saying how much he loves books grin

peachygirl Sat 01-Sep-07 15:28:50

LOL at your name Iambarryscott. One of my friends had a fling with the RL Barry Scott.. shhh it's not his real name.

Our library does a baby rhyme time which is great, it is now going to clash with or swimming but I enjoyed it and dd did too

ImBarryScott Sat 01-Sep-07 15:29:44

this series is brilliant and I think most libraries have them!

Gloria42 Tue 04-Sep-07 21:14:44

Thanks muchly everyone, have taken note of all suggestions. Currently he seems to enjoy Hungry Caterpillar the best, think it's cos he's so hungry himself all the time smile!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now