Talk

Advanced search

I have just finished The Little Princess

(13 Posts)
Califrau Tue 28-Aug-07 19:01:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 28-Aug-07 19:01:43

One of my favourite books from childhood!

saltire Tue 28-Aug-07 19:03:30

I have just read a copy of that - it was part of a set DS1 got when he was little. I have put a few of them on ebay, have the Railway Children as well, might read it,it's one of my favourites

Greensleeves Tue 28-Aug-07 19:04:13

LOL you soppy sod grin

They made two film versions of it, both quite good, but I marginally preferred the Shirley Temple one, MUCH more saccharine grin

filthymindedvixen Tue 28-Aug-07 19:04:25

I adore that book. Must go and dig it out. I need something to read <<paces>>>

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 28-Aug-07 19:05:52

Isn't it A Little Princess?
Unless you are thinking of I Want My Potty and those books, which I hope you're not.

WendyWeber Tue 28-Aug-07 19:08:13

They had Queen Victoria in the Shirley Temple one - talk about taking liberties! (With the story that is, obv they hadn't dug her up).

Shirley Temple was an astonishing actor as a child though.

I adore it too, Cfrau smile

filthymindedvixen Tue 28-Aug-07 19:08:25

oh Kathy! Now Wash Your Hands is surely a classic...

Califrau Tue 28-Aug-07 19:08:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WendyWeber Tue 28-Aug-07 19:09:19

(There was an ITV version with Maureen Lipmann and Miriam Margolyes (sp?) as the awful sisters - well, ML as the more awful one - that wasn't bad either)

WendyWeber Tue 28-Aug-07 19:11:32

The ITV one - N Havers was in it too, and John Bird shock

It's worth looking out for anyway.

MrsMcJnr Tue 28-Aug-07 19:13:19

Lovely book, I remember that well smile

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 28-Aug-07 19:14:15

Cali I was struggling to picture you weeping at the story of the Little Princess bravely overcoming her toilet training challenges.

I could really see Lipman and Margolyes in those roles.

In the modern film they made Becky black and sneaked in racism as an issue. Which sounds wrong but actually worked surprisingly well - I think they moved it to New York as well.

When I read the FHB books as an adult the thing that struck me most was how well-drawn her child characters are. They're all completely distinct characters - Sara Crewe, Mary Lennox, Dickon, Colin, Cedric Errol, each one (except for Mary) nauseating in a completely different way. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now