Talk

Advanced search

What book to get someone who isn't really a reader

(22 Posts)
Littletabbyocelot Fri 03-Jan-20 21:21:40

A friend has asked me to recommend a good book for her to read as she's going into hospital (minor but will be in a couple of days). She describes herself as not really a reader and doesn't normally have time. I love reading but my main genres are fantasy and classics. I'm really not sure what to suggest. Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
Ellmau Sat 04-Jan-20 16:51:15

What does she like watching on TV?

Any other interests?

Tableclothing Sat 04-Jan-20 16:56:50

How risque is her sense of humour? Do you think she'd prefer <light-hearted> or a bit serious or terrifying?

SnorkMaiden81 Sat 04-Jan-20 16:58:09

What car does she drive?

Haynes Manual?

FoxRedBitch Sat 04-Jan-20 17:00:38

This is going to hurt by Adam Kay? 😬

I'm not a reader at all but I couldn't put this down.

Nonnymum Sat 04-Jan-20 17:01:06

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine is a good easy read and I would say it is a good choice for someone who doesn't read much

Cornishblues Sat 04-Jan-20 17:01:46

Something easy to read as it’s hard to concentrate in hospital... notes from a small island, or a thriller eg day of the jackal, or first Harry Potter if she wouldn’t take that amiss?

MadeinBelfast Sat 04-Jan-20 17:03:18

Something by Marian Keyes or Maeve Binchy. They are usually fun, easy reads. If they don't sound right, maybe a biography of someone she likes? I've bought Becoming for a few 'non-readers', the book about Michelle Obama. I'd also recommend 'This is going to hurt' but maybe not for someone going into hospital!

WarmthAndDepth Sat 04-Jan-20 17:03:55

How about downloading her an audiobook of something that's a really good read which she might not otherwise try reading?

riotlady Sat 04-Jan-20 17:13:18

@FoxRedBitch I’m not sure I’d recommend that for someone going into hospital! XD

I’ve just finished Dear Mrs Bird which is a nice read- it’s about a young woman in WW2 who starts secretly replying to agony aunt letters.

riotlady Sat 04-Jan-20 17:14:14

Does she like history? My mum doesn’t read much but loves all of Philippa Gregory’s books

draughtycatflap Sat 04-Jan-20 17:14:27

A pop-up?

nocoolnamesleft Sat 04-Jan-20 17:16:47

This is going to hurt by Adam Kay? 😬

I'm not a reader at all but I couldn't put this down.

For god's sake, don't get her one of Adam Kay's (brilliant) books if she's going into hospital!!!!

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sat 04-Jan-20 17:25:36

I like Warmthanddepths idea of an audio book, it'll help block out the noise on the ward and an adult colouring book or easy craft will keep her hands busy. I do this on an evening when I can whilst cross stitching.

Armi Sat 04-Jan-20 22:50:42

I agree with the Bill Bryson suggestion, upthread. I always read his travel books when feeling a bit wobbly. ‘Notes From A Small Island’ and ‘The Road To Little Dribbling’ would be good. I love his curmudgeonly chunterings. There’s something very reassuring and ‘grumpy dad’-like about his writing style.

Happygirl79 Sat 04-Jan-20 22:52:26

Get her some women's magazines instead of a book

MaJoady Mon 06-Jan-20 13:25:09

@Happygirl79 No!!! Why would you turn someone off getting into reading in that way?! Especially if they're interested. I have a friend who reads very differently to me, predominantly reading a lot of non-fiction. If I asked him for some recommendations and he came back with magazines I would be insulted!

OP, do you feel able to give anymore details about your friend? Age, general interests sort of thing? That might help you get the

Littletabbyocelot Mon 06-Jan-20 15:10:41

Thanks so much for the suggestions. So, friend might be stretching it a bit at the moment, more person I chat to on the school run but would like to know better. So I know very little about her interests.

I very nearly bought this is going to hurt, before thinking it through as I loved it. Will look at some of the other suggestions. I've never heard of Dear Mrs Bird, I might get it for me!

OP’s posts: |
MaJoady Wed 08-Jan-20 16:21:54

Hmmm, that makes it a bit trickier!

I’m assuming its going to be a little gift? If so, something like the hearts invisible furies might work? It’s a “proper” book but easy to read and pacey enough to get sucked in?

Elinor Oliphant may also be a good one. Not my cup of tea, but most of MN seemed to have loved it. On a similar vein would be Three Things About Elsie...

SunshineAvenue Wed 08-Jan-20 16:34:01

Marian Keyes. A brilliant writer. Full of humour and warmth and humanity. Great for non readers and readers alike.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Wed 08-Jan-20 16:38:19

My friend who isn't a reader loved The Salt Path by Raynor Wynn when I recommended it to her.

BrightonBB Wed 08-Jan-20 21:41:01

Wonder by RJ Palacio

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in