Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone read "The Last Child" by John Hart?

(5 Posts)
weederley Mon 09-Dec-19 13:23:31

I was looking for a good crime-fiction page-turner for my 13 yo DS. I think this one is an adult book, but the main character is a 13 year old boy. I'm interested to know whether it's "suitable" for a teen reader, by which I mean the equivalent of a 12 or 15 film, as opposed to an 18.

OP’s posts: |
fishonabicycle Mon 09-Dec-19 14:20:23

Why don't you read it first? I used to do that with stuff for my teen.

weederley Mon 09-Dec-19 14:48:23

Not sure I'll have time before Christmas

weederley Thu 19-Dec-19 14:33:11

Well, actually now I have read it, and pretty quickly, so I can confirm it's a page turner! I'm just updating the thread in case anyone has a similar question.

The book is about a 13 yo boy trying to find his twin sister who was abducted. It has gritty themes - paedophilia, drug/alcohol abuse, domestic violence - but it's sensitivity written and doesn't go into gratuitous detail, so if it was a movie it would probably be a 15.

I'm going to give it to my 13 yo for Christmas and I think he'll enjoy it. He's a reluctant reader who finds it difficult to get into books that have a slow start or lots of character description. This one is a fast moving story with twists and turns and plenty of action so hopefully he will like it as much as I did.

The plot (or rather the police handling of the case) had a few holes from a credibility perspective, but nothing that detracted too much from the story.

thebearwentoverthebumble Thu 19-Dec-19 14:54:32

I've read this book! I really enjoyed it and I loved this sort of thing when I was your sons age and would have really enjoyed it then.
I'm not sure if they are a bit dated now but I used to read something called point horror books. They were aimed at teenagers and they were great!

Merry Christmas 🎅

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in