Talk

Advanced search

Best Ruth Rendell's books

(24 Posts)
piscis Fri 18-Oct-19 15:13:44

I have just finished The Lake of Darkness by Ruth Rendell and really enjoyed it.

What are her best books? I would like to read more books from her and looking for recommendations (but not the Inspector Wexford ones)

OP’s posts: |
Lllot5 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:20:30

Sight for sore eyes. Secret house of death. The bridesmaid. To fear a painted devil. The face of trespass.
Buy everything and anything she has ever written she’s a genius.
Don’t forget Barbara Vine ones too.

HappyDinosaur Fri 18-Oct-19 15:25:00

I love Ruth Rendell, agree with pp that Sight for sore eyes is a good one, as is The Bridesmaid. I also like listening to them as audio books on YouTube.

pallisers Fri 18-Oct-19 15:25:55

A Dark Adapted Eye is brilliant. (that may be barbara vine)

You'd like Josephine Tey too

HerBigChance Fri 18-Oct-19 15:36:53

Lake of Darkness is superb

Asta's Book
Face of Trespass
A Fatal Inversion (as Barbara Vine)

Lllot5 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:44:32

Chimney sweepers boy.
You don’t even know how good it is when you’re reading it only when you’ve finished and you miss it.

Caribbeanescape Fri 18-Oct-19 15:52:27

My favourite one is Adam and Eve and Pinch Me, and I also love The Crocodile Bird.

AnyFucker Fri 18-Oct-19 15:53:14

Any of 'em

HerBigChance Fri 18-Oct-19 15:56:29

I'm planning an autumn re-read of some of the ones I've got, which is loads.

SenecaFalls Fri 18-Oct-19 15:59:27

I've read them all, some many times, but my top three or so favorites are all Wexford books so I can't help you, OP.

SenecaFalls Fri 18-Oct-19 16:03:53

A Judgement in Stone (Wexford makes an appearance but it's not really a Wexford) is one of my favorites.

SorbetK6 Fri 18-Oct-19 16:14:31

Talking to Strange Men.

SorbetK6 Fri 18-Oct-19 16:15:21

Asta's Book. But that might be Barbara Vine.

piscis Fri 18-Oct-19 16:43:22

I have started reading The bridesmaid.
I have downloaded the ebook from my library, I have only read a few pages but looks promising.

HerBigChance Fri 18-Oct-19 16:53:06

Oh yes, A Judgement in Stone is terrific.

Phoebesfleas Fri 18-Oct-19 16:56:08

The Tree of Hands is an emotive read, it gave me the horrors as DS was a toddler when I read it.

Phoebesfleas Fri 18-Oct-19 16:57:30

Also 13 Steps Down!

piscis Fri 18-Oct-19 17:24:29

The tree of hands sounds good!
I want to read them all but don't have the time...

rosegoldwatcher Fri 18-Oct-19 20:40:47

Ruth Rendell - my favourite of all time! Thank you Op for starting this thread.
If you loved A Sight for Sore Eyes you MUST read The Vault, even though it is a Wexford book. He has retired in this one (I think) and on a visit to London where he becomes involved with the discovery of bones in a coal cellar... It is really the sequel to a Sight for Sore Eyes. Really good.
I think that I have read everything she wrote, as herself and as Barbara Vine and always preferred the non-Wexfords.
Particular favourites are Live Flesh, Talking To Strange Men and Going Wrong.

Fornit Sat 19-Oct-19 12:51:03

Asta's Book (As Barbara Vine)

So many good books to choose from though.
Audible versions tend to be pretty good too.

efeslight Sat 19-Oct-19 21:29:32

After reading this thread, i browsed through my Ruth Rendell collection and reread the tree of hands after quite a few years. Very good, generally prefer Barbara Vine but what a great writer she was.

DorisDay88 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:33:45

What a great thread! I was introduced to her books about 35 years ago and think I've read all of them, love Barbra Vine ones particularly
Decided I needed to start de clutter my book case but couldn't bare to get rid of Ruth's books . I took a pile of my de cluttered books to the charity table at our local Dunelm and on the table was at least 20 Ruth Randell books- many I hadn't got. Had to buy them and have now decided to collect the lot and read them in date order.
Some things are meant to be wink

Welshwabbit Mon 21-Oct-19 13:36:46

My favourite Wexford is "An Unkindness of Ravens", although I have a soft spot for the very first one, "From Doon with Death". My favourite stand-alones are "A Dark-Adapted Eye" and "A Fatal Inversion" (both writing as Barbara Vine). The latter in particular has the most fantastic tense, claustrophobic atmosphere.

Welshwabbit Mon 21-Oct-19 13:38:26

Oh, and "A Judgement in Stone" is also great.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in