Talk

Advanced search

Arthur and George: I am so stupid and ignorant that ...

(12 Posts)
SixKindsofCrisis Sat 11-Aug-07 12:09:43

...I got to page 61 before realising who Arthur was. Dur!! I'm reading it now. Anyone else doing the same?
Also, when I read Edwin Drood, I got to the end before I realised that it was Dicken's Great Unfinished Novel. Grr!
Anyone else been that stupid a reader?

Bink Sat 11-Aug-07 15:00:55

I think Barnes would be delighted at the way you've read it - given that one isn't supposed to twig George's non-white-ness until it's brought out of a hat fairly well in.

Not reading, but dh and I did chance on an early episode of The Office & watched it thinking - This documentary - something is not quite right, surely?

SixKindsofCrisis Sat 11-Aug-07 16:44:18

sfxmum Sat 11-Aug-07 17:24:47

i am reading that but i did know who Arthur but had not heard of the case in question

SixKindsofCrisis Sat 11-Aug-07 17:30:54

Are you enjoying it sfxmum?
Bink, I'm sure you are right. I wonder how many other novels have their main conceit spoiled a bit by the marketing/publicity having to reveal more than the reader beginning the book should know.
And about George's colour, yes, that dawns on the reader at the time in George's life when circumstances force him to 'notice' his colour as being significant -as a cause of hostility.

sfxmum Sat 11-Aug-07 17:57:31

very much so, it is true spoilers in reviews are pretty bad. but i like J.Barnes and was drawn in quickly. only slowly did it dawn on me why he wasn't 'the right sort'
then stupidly i googled Edalji, wish i hadn't but still am enjoying the book

and btw quite certain you are not stupid and ignorant

sleepfinder Sat 11-Aug-07 18:35:48

Normally I love Julian Barnes but was v disappointed by A&G. Best bits were the true accounts, from the press...(imo)

expatinscotland Sat 11-Aug-07 18:42:15

I stopped reading Barnes after 'Snobs'.

SixKindsofCrisis Sat 11-Aug-07 19:28:10

Oh haven't got to Snobs yet. Am enjoying the book v much so far. Won't google Edalji!!

sfxmum Sat 11-Aug-07 20:26:32

thought Snobs was by Julian Fellowes
is there another one?
i have read a few books by Barnes books but not all

am not overly keen on him

sfxmum Sat 11-Aug-07 20:27:20

Fellowes that is not Barnes

Bink Sat 11-Aug-07 20:40:22

I liked it mainly because I'd just finished an entire bargain box set (courtesy of the wonderful Book People [that's my regular fortnightly MN plug ]) of all of Conan Doyle & it was a relief how much more original and elegant a writer Barnes is. (ACD being Enid Blyton for not-very-grown ups.) Generally, I felt A&G ran out of steam - earlier parts of the story much more interestingly written than the later bits. See what you think, though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: