Talk

Advanced search

Fleishman is in Trouble

(14 Posts)
pollyhemlock Fri 09-Aug-19 16:25:17

Anyone else read this yet? If so what did you think? What did you feel about Toby and Rachel?

OP’s posts: |
ElleMcFearsome Mon 12-Aug-19 17:38:11

Read it last week (on holiday!) I did like it but I'm not sure it's as profound as it thinks it is, if that makes sense? I felt like it could have been by a number of authors (Franzen et al) and whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing, it didn't make it stand out to me in any meaningful way.

However... I read Lake Success just before reading it and they are similar books in a lot of ways (to me, anyway) so maybe it was more on me for not mixing up my reading list better! That said, it was a perfectly acceptable way to while away a few days and I might re-visit it again (I also laughed hard at Private Eye's predictably savage review of it, which was OTT as usual)

I'm not sure of it was meant to have a 'big reveal' when the narrative and perspective switched but I felt that it was a bit of a damp squib, and the ending REALLY irritated me!

MrsGrindah Mon 12-Aug-19 17:40:50

Thought it was a massive disappointment given all the hype. Didn’t find either character engaging enough and thought the plot line was really thin.

pollyhemlock Mon 12-Aug-19 17:56:09

Yes, I enjoyed it and thought it was quite clever, but I don’t think it’s ‘ the book of the summer’ as some have suggested. I found Toby and Rachel believable, though often very irritating, which is presumably intentional. Obviously I get that it’s a feminist book, but by the end I felt I was being hit over the head by the feminist message. Must try and find the Private Eye review.

Springfern Mon 12-Aug-19 21:52:40

I enjoyed it but also found it underwhelming. Also I didnt find the 'twist' very shocking at all. To me it was obvious from the beginning that Toby was a self absorbed twat

pollyhemlock Tue 13-Aug-19 08:24:09

Indeed. The way he treats Mona is a strong indicator of the kind of guy he is.

Bookridden Mon 16-Sep-19 18:56:12

I didn't like Rachel. Was she assaulted during her labour, or not? I couldn't tell.

slipperyeel Thu 19-Sep-19 14:11:11

I liked it though the characters were both ridiculously over privileged

Agree with @Springfern that it was pretty obvious. I did like the fact that Rachel only got such a small piece of the book and that became part of her silencing.

ImAShowPony Sat 28-Sep-19 09:56:25

I'm on p86 and it's really not grabbing me at all. Just a relentless catalogue of Toby's dating conquests and bitching about his ex.
Should I give up or carry on? Will something engage me soon???

beanaseireann Mon 30-Sep-19 13:37:01

ImAShowPony
I'm reading it at the moment and it's not realky grabbing me either.

MyReadingChallenge Mon 30-Sep-19 14:41:31

Recently finished this and thought it was very lacklustre... Even having lived in NYC I just couldn’t relate to “their world” at all. Found it quite boring to be honest and didn’t really see what having Libby as the narrator added...

ImAShowPony Tue 01-Oct-19 06:30:50

@beanaseireann I read another 20 pages last night. It's improving slightly- well the plot and characters appear to be building so it's moving on from a long, dry, boring list of Fleishman's fucks.
The characters are all so uninteresting, dislikeable and one dimensional that it's offputting rather than engaging.

beanaseireann Wed 02-Oct-19 09:33:59

I finished it.
A couple of hours of my life I'll never get back. sad

ImAShowPony Thu 03-Oct-19 08:47:35

Thanks for helping me decide- it's going back to the library.
Reading should be a pleasure and this book has turned into some horrible job that i felt i had to do.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in