loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just finished "The Five People You Meet In Heaven"

(15 Posts)
Loobeeloo Thu 02-Aug-07 14:37:29

What an excellent book, loved it!

MascaraOHara Thu 02-Aug-07 14:39:22

synopsis please Loobeeloo.. am watching the Book threads avidly at the minute for inspriration..

Loobeeloo Thu 02-Aug-07 14:44:13

On his 83rd birthday, Eddie, a lonely war veteran dies in a tragic accident trying to save a little girl's life. With his final breath he feels 2 small hands in his and then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush garden of eden but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by 5 people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever.

You don't have to be religious to enjoy this book, I'm not particularly but I loved it.

Loobeeloo Thu 02-Aug-07 14:45:14

Should have also said it's by Mitch Albom

janeitebus Thu 02-Aug-07 15:03:35

Yes it's lovely and I'm a complete atheist. It's just a sweet, feel-good read.

His "Tuesdays With Morrie" is even better.

Loobeeloo Thu 02-Aug-07 15:04:44

I'm just starting "for one more day" by him so I'm hoping that's just as good.

melsy Thu 02-Aug-07 15:08:56

sounds right up my street , think I will have to go and buy right away on amazon , was looking for some new fodder !!!

Tatties Thu 02-Aug-07 17:36:49

Ooh it sounds lovely. I really shouldn't buy more books but I will look out for it in the library

nomoremagnolia Tue 07-Aug-07 21:35:12

It's a truely lovely book, i read it all on a train journey and was really moved by the end - you know that feeling where you just want to be really still and think about it for a minute?
Didn't enjoy "For one more day" as much, still haven't got round to "Tuesdays with Morrie"

jaynehater Tue 07-Aug-07 21:44:46

I feel very benevolently inclined toward Mitch because I bought Tuesdays in a charity shop for 25p and found £20 neatly folded into a bookmark inside.

I was quite bad, next time I was in I put a tenner in the can but I did split it 50/50 and bought dsd and I hot chocolate in town.

Loved five people - very easy, tranquil read.

gothicmama Tue 07-Aug-07 21:47:30

I forgot what a truely lovely book it was until I read your post

Doodledootoo Tue 07-Aug-07 21:48:43

Message withdrawn

Sixofone Wed 15-Aug-07 21:34:26

I loved it too - for me, it was one of those 'lifechanging' books that you only read once in a while. I have always believed that you don't need to be religious to live a good life and this backed up my view. I felt reassured about the whole concept of life after death.

chocoholicfrog Thu 16-Aug-07 11:47:55

Oooh, yes, this book was fab.
Thanks for reminding me, I think I will read it again soon.

christie1 Thu 16-Aug-07 15:27:01

I just finished it a few days ago. It was the second book I read this year about heaven (the first was a chapter in the History of the World in 10 1/2 weeks by Julian Barnes which I preferred, not sure why). But where are the angels and harps. I found heaven a bit harrowing really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now