Talk

Advanced search

Let's talk WODEHOUSE

(12 Posts)
EffiePerine Tue 31-Jul-07 20:44:30

Sod trying to find new books: have returned to old favourites. Just finished Psmith in the City from my nice fat Psmith omnibus. Still have Psmith Journalist and Leave it to Psmith to come <happy sigh>

The earlier ones are my favourites, though the golf stories are the best of his short stories IMO.

What's your fav Wodehouse and why? And how does he manage to be so damn good?

looseleaf Tue 31-Jul-07 20:56:21

I've recently read Pigs Have Wings and Uncle Dynamite, having recently re-discovered Wodehouse too. Joy!! And what's even better is there are so MANY of them

EffiePerine Tue 31-Jul-07 20:57:57

Hundreds

In fact I haven't read Uncle Dynamite - is that a Blandings one?

wotsits Tue 31-Jul-07 21:01:33

Haven't read Wodehouse for ages - can't choose a favourite but I really liked the pig call - "Hoooooeeey!". There's a pub in the New Forest called The Empress of Blandings which always makes me smile in recognition

looseleaf Tue 31-Jul-07 21:07:58

Uncle Dynamite's set at Ashenden Manor. Also have Full Moon, Quick Service, The Heart of a Goof, The Luck of the Bodkins, Summer Moonshine and The Inimitable Jeeves. But if you mention your favourite I might know what to look out for next! Wodehouse is about the only writer who makes me laugh out loud and often!

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Tue 31-Jul-07 21:09:23

A favourite, eek! I quite like the Aunts & Blandings stories ... but I may have to go with Psmith. DH and I refer to all woolly magazines as 'Cosy Moments'.

I love the names, especially the Drones - Catsmeat Potter Pirbright. How good is that!

Aitch Tue 31-Jul-07 21:09:48

aw i haven't read any wodehouse in years. thanks for the reminder, i feel happier already.

Aitch Tue 31-Jul-07 21:10:23

loved psmith, journalist as i recall. funny, that...

EffiePerine Tue 31-Jul-07 21:10:38

Def the Psmith books for me - Psmith is a great character and, in an odd monocle-wearing way, a romantic hero.

Cozy Moments Will Not Be Muzzled!

My favorite short story is probably Excelsior, where the hero kicks his annoying in-laws into the bumker for interrupting his game

EffiePerine Tue 31-Jul-07 21:12:47

Cosy*

*Bunker

Psmith J my fav of the series Aitch. Bat Jankins and his cats, the unexpurgated Kid on the art of boxing...

AttilaTheMum Tue 31-Jul-07 21:39:16

My favourite short story is probably the Clicking of Cuthbert as it has two of my favourite quotations -

"...a sliced ball.. had come within an ace of incapacitating Raymond Parslow Devine, the rising young novelist (who rose at that moment a clear foot and a half)from any further exercise of his art"

and

"it is too much to say that there was a dead silence. There could never be that in any room in which Vladimir Brusilov was eating cake"

I've never been able to decide on my favourite novel, but Psmith is definitely my favourite character.

Botbot Wed 01-Aug-07 21:54:14

I like Ukridge, because he calls everyone 'old horse'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now