Talk

Advanced search

Tom Hodgkinson - Idler/How to be Free

(7 Posts)
niceglasses Tue 31-Jul-07 08:36:59

Read How to be Free by Tom Hodgkinson and was quite frankly impressed. Anyone else read it?

Anyone think he is a fraud?

MyEye Tue 31-Jul-07 15:01:45

I liked it, the bits I read (DH's copy).

Esp approved of the the stuff about staring down consumerism. Just letting those cravings settle, then they dwindle and die.

UnquietDad Tue 31-Jul-07 15:02:48

Fraud in what way? he secretly works very hard? I imagine he has a nest-egg to fall back on.

MuminBrum Tue 31-Jul-07 15:05:55

Massive trust fund, actually.

MuminBrum Tue 31-Jul-07 15:07:32

On a similar subject, anyone see Sheherezade Goldsmith's effusions on leading a greener life? Apparently we should all keep geese - all they need is a small grazing area and access to running water, which we all have in our gardens, don't we?

niceglasses Mon 06-Aug-07 15:41:00

Yeah suppose bit suspicious of the 'We rent out our house in London and moved to a (rented) cottage in Devon' - blah blah. Wondering how achievable all is etc, but am I being consumerist cycnic? Later read of him and partner out in London whilst nanny looked after kids - which is A okay but in book he lambasts childcare of this ilk.

Anyway, maybe to be picked and chosen, but had some good bits.

Bouquetsofdynomite Mon 06-Aug-07 18:27:50

He does remind me a little of Bertie Wooster grown up with an adoring doormat wife instead of Jeeves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now