Talk

Advanced search

Crimson Petal and the White ...

(12 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 24-Jul-07 10:01:06

I know, I'm 8 billion years behind as usual ... what did other people think of this? I enjoyed it a fair bit, I'm not big on the Victoriana thing, generally, and the 'men writing about/as whores' thing doesn't really do it for me, but I did enjoy it anyway. I liked that some things were just left open-ended.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 25-Jul-07 21:46:18

Nobody?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 30-Jul-07 22:53:39

Nobody at all?

BirdyArms Tue 31-Jul-07 12:53:09

I read it on holiday about 3 years ago so not sure I can remember enough to discuss in detail! I found it a real page turner. Wasn't something I'd normally have chosen - also not partciularly into victoriana/ whore thing - but bought it online after a recommendation and enjoyed it as did dh. The characters have really stayed with me but don't remember the plot very well.

Blackduck Tue 31-Jul-07 12:54:38

I hated it and gave up on it....

hoxtonchick Tue 31-Jul-07 12:56:02

i quite liked it, didn't think it lived up to the hype though (i don't go for victorian things generally). he has recently published a sequel to tie up the loose ends here

lljkk Tue 31-Jul-07 14:52:12

I just read Apple, that DOES basically tell you much of what happened to Sophie and Sugar and others -- I haven't read Crimson and Petal, but I reckon the open-ending would have annoyed me hugely.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 06:22:41

<jumps, startled>

OMG, other people can see this thread!

No, it didn't live up to the hype. Actually, now I'm wondering about the Quincunx, but seem to be clearing shelves and reading things I already have (W.G. Sebald, for a start).

I did like the open-ended thing, it's more 'realistic' ...

PinkMartini Wed 01-Aug-07 09:08:01

I don't normally go in for the Victoriana either but did enjoy this. I appreciate the open ending but thought it was a little rushed.

I read it in about three days, I couldn't put it down.

hoxtonchick Thu 02-Aug-07 15:15:59

have just bought the sequel half price...

BBBee Fri 10-Aug-07 00:34:53

thought the start was great but it really tailed off. It did evoke the time well.

I think the main thing I liked about it was that it was printed on really nice paper. I am sure if more publishers made the effort the books would sell like hot cakes.

UCM Fri 24-Aug-07 15:46:05

I loved it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: