Talk

Advanced search

any ANNE TYLER fans????have just finished dgging to america and LOVED IT

(19 Posts)
MaloryTowers Sat 21-Jul-07 08:47:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 21-Jul-07 09:19:29

I love all her stuff. Digging to America is different from most, though, the whole 'foreign' thing is a new area for her.

Miaou Sat 21-Jul-07 09:21:29

I loved the Tin Can Tree - that's my fave of hers.

MaloryTowers Sat 21-Jul-07 09:22:00

Miaou Sat 21-Jul-07 09:22:55

No but I quite like books where nothing much happens [saddo]

MaloryTowers Sat 21-Jul-07 09:24:00

NotQuiteCockney Sat 21-Jul-07 09:45:13

I thought she was shifting, to some extent, to the POV of Susan or Jin Ho. Mostly Susan, really.

I like all her books. Maybe Homesick Restaurant the best? Not sure. There are some bits in Accidental Tourist that crack me up.

EffiePerine Sat 21-Jul-07 10:00:18

Love the accidental tourist

allgonebellyup Sat 21-Jul-07 10:02:36

ooh yes love her..

christie1 Sat 21-Jul-07 20:57:30

I love her books and can't say why. The characters are so frustratingly passive and strange yet I can't put them down. My favorite is about he ignored mother who gets up to get something for the kids at the beach and keeps walking to a new life. I think searching for caleb was my favorite although not sure why.

WendyWeber Sat 21-Jul-07 21:00:37

Oh! I don't know Digging to America or Tin Can tree - will place amazon order instantly.

Love the Accidental Tourist

donnie Tue 24-Jul-07 18:12:26

love love love Anne Tyler...my fave is dinner at the homesick restaurant.

catandmouse Tue 24-Jul-07 20:35:43

hi I haven't read those two either, but I love Anne tyler. I like the way not much happens,and how the characters struggle to know themselves, I think she understands a great deal about the human condition- we make decisions all the time, not realising how much impact they will have on our future. Some of my fav titles are patwchowrk planet, saint maybe and accidental marriage.

lucylala Thu 26-Jul-07 11:21:46

The Amateur Marriage is a fav of mine - that's the one that got me into Anne Tyler!

Lilymaid Thu 26-Jul-07 11:23:13

I love all her books and bought Digging to America yesterday as a holiday read.

pinkyminky Thu 26-Jul-07 21:35:41

The Amateur Marriage. I loved it too. It surprised me a bit, it was the starkest one of her books I have read. Will try to get around to reading Digging to America, I'm really intrigued now

brimfull Thu 26-Jul-07 21:40:03

LOVe love love anne tyler,have read quite a few of hers.

digging to america was great,loved it aswell,the characters are so brilliant and utterly believable.

kerala Thu 26-Jul-07 21:45:24

Reading Ladder of Years which am enjoyign. Sometimes she puts something in a sentence that I have been thinking but not been able to put into words.

Really enjoyed Amateur Marriage so will seek out Digging to America if you recommend

LadyG Thu 26-Jul-07 22:25:13

Loved it. Loved the Iranian grandmother character. Beautifully written. Trying to get DH to read it ( he has don e about 3 pages) as we are trying to do a little book club a deux so we don't spend all our time when DS is in bed talking about DS schools house renovations who's done this and have you called so and so and all the usual bilge. I have to read the Cruel sea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now