Talk

Advanced search

book ideas for 7 year old boy

(11 Posts)
kittenlover Tue 17-Jul-07 14:02:39

Hi all

Any thoughts out there on some good holiday reads for my 7 year old? He's done the horrid henry / captain underpants thing - currently enjoying Tin Tin, my old Secret 7 books - and loved The Kick Off by Dan Freedman (football themed books are a HUGE yes!). Been trying to steer him towards some of the classics (Stig of the Dump, Tom's Midnight Garden etc) but he really likes a more action / adventure type story.

Not sure he'd go for Harry Potter etc as not a huge magic / fantasy fan and tends to get easily scared (including by the Secret Seven sometimes...!?).

Summer hols coming up so ideas for my next amazon order most welcomed!

PestoMonster Tue 17-Jul-07 14:04:36

Flat Stanley - can't remember who it's by, but you can get a whole series of them. My dd2's teacher nabbed ours and has been reading them out to the class for the last couple of terms

puddle Tue 17-Jul-07 14:08:40

Kitten if you're looking for a series try the cressida cowell 'how to train your dragon' books featuring Hiccup the viking. they are fab - extremely funny and my ds loves them.

If he likes Tintin he might like Asterix as well - they are my ds's latest discovery and he's reading through the entire lot from our library.

kittenlover Tue 17-Jul-07 14:10:09

Cheers for that - I think he might have read the 1st one but I'll see if I can get hold of some of the other books in that series. He reads incredibly fast - a book a night - so I'll need plenty!

ellceeell Tue 17-Jul-07 14:34:07

Do you know about The Book People website? http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk They do really good offers on sets - 5 Flat Stanley books for £4.99, 10 Roald Dahl books for 12.99 - you have to add postage, but even so!

kittenlover Tue 17-Jul-07 14:41:14

Asterix sounds good too - he's loving my Tin Tin books.

Any football themed ideas?

Quattrocento Wed 18-Jul-07 20:37:53

The things I brought on holiday for my DS who is also 7 are as follows

Dick King Smith - Hairy Hezekiah
Horrible Science
Stig of the Dump
Bruce Coville - Russell Troy Monster Boy

My DS is a bit of a reluctant reader so I really do try to think about things that would tempt him.

There was a thread on this quite recently. I'll try to find it ...

Quattrocento Wed 18-Jul-07 20:45:08

Finally found the right key on the keyboard to do links! A triumph. There are some useful things on here. Maybe?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1377&threadid=317685&stamp=070613134906

roisin Wed 18-Jul-07 20:50:04

Joshua Doder's Grk books are great for this age.

roisin Wed 18-Jul-07 20:50:42

Also Cressida Cowell's How to train your dragon and so on.

roisin Wed 18-Jul-07 20:52:13

A Dog called Grk

How to train your dragon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now