Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Let's start a contest of the worst sentences you have read recently in a book?

(6 Posts)
christie1 Fri 13-Jul-07 21:45:55

I am reading the other night my comfortable mystery series which I really enjoy, when I read a phrase and had to stop and go "whoa, that really stinks!" Try this for size...
"It may catch you by surprise, desperation erupting and overwhelming you before you know how close it is. She had felt that dark edge of panic brushing her". I love this author and this book series but this needed some serious editing, or deleting really. Ok, I have the first entry. Any takers?

christie1 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:09:19

come on, I can't believe no one has read some bad fiction lately. What about all the chick lit? Hey, if you don't join in, I will have to go back to writing my disseration! Save me please!

JonRonseal Mon 16-Jul-07 14:25:03

One of the Harry Potter books has, in an early chapter, the sentence: "A silence fell downstairs."
Thumpety-thump, crash.

JonRonseal Mon 16-Jul-07 14:26:10

And I want to start a thread on how many 'unconscious borrowings' Harry Potter has from the Lord of the Rings.

JonRonseal Mon 16-Jul-07 14:38:26

Worst sentence in Harry Potter: any advances on 'A silence fell downstairs"?

christie1 Wed 18-Jul-07 20:56:19

Personally, I think you are all chicken! There is some really bad writing contained within otherwise good books. So, exactly how does a silence fall downstairs? Perhaps it was brushed by the dark edge of panic on the way down. Come on readers, take the challenge, otherwise I declare jonronseal-YOU ARE THE WINNER!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now