Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WANTED: Book Recommendations for 8 yr old BOY (fiction, quality holiday reads?)

(11 Posts)
Giuliettatoday Tue 03-Jul-07 23:58:59

Hi there,

I am trying to put some holiday books together for my (very soon) 8 year old boy.

Of course he knows all the Horrid Henry books and some of usual early-reader-want-to-encourage-boys-stuff and I'd really like to get him to read something different now.

He hates football, so the usual football books are a big no-no, otherwise he is very interested in books.

I don't really have to encourage him to read - he reads constantly. However I'm running out of ideas at the moment, particularly as I would like to aim for a bit of quality now rather than yet another poo-alien-style-goo-shooter-underpants-robot-book if you know what I mean.

He loves anything that's rather realistic (such as school stories, but no aliens and robots please) and funny.

We have also tried a few Roald Dahl books and he likes them, also Sally Gardiner and the Ahlberg books with the Gaskitt family - he particularly loves the latter, Sally Gardiner dragged a bit.

Sometimes he happily re-visits books aimed at younger children and even not too openly girly books (such as stories with a girl as protagonist, but nothing obviously aimed at girls like those rows of pink, glittery pony books).

His reading is very fluent but sometimes he doesn't really understand more difficult words or an underlying message (he's autistic but not severly so to put it short).

Sorry for the length of this but maybe it's easier to suggest something with more info.

Hoping for answers

KerryMum Wed 04-Jul-07 00:00:29

Series of Unfortunate Events definitely

RosaLuxembourg Wed 04-Jul-07 00:06:00

I have just got a set of Eddie Dickins (Philip Ardagh) on BookPeople for DD1 - they are aimed at boys though and look pretty good. Maybe the Roman Mysteries? Also on offer at BookPeople conincidentally! Michael Morpurgo - the Butterfly Lion is good for eight year olds. What about the Spiderwick Chronicles?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamama Wed 04-Jul-07 00:22:05

I don't like the Spiderwick Chronicles but it might be ok - I'd have a look at them before you buy. I was reading them with some 7 year olds and they were quite upset by them - especially when issues around self-inflicted scratches and being locked away for being 'mad' came up. Just thought I'd mention that. Your DS might love them.

What about the Giggler Treatment (Roddy Doyle)? Or the horrible history etc series?

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Wed 04-Jul-07 00:24:10

Andy Stanton - you're a bad man mr gum and new sequel. v funny and readable by my 7yo.

spykid Wed 04-Jul-07 10:28:07

a second for the mr gumm books
ditto roddy doyle

michael morpurgo

grrk

lemmony snicket

jack stalwart, boy spy series

sir gaddabout

flat stanley

will try and think of more....

Bink Wed 04-Jul-07 20:59:29

Red Fox compilation of Professor Branestawm
Enid Blyton's geographical feature - eg Island - of Adventure series
Mark Haddon's "Agent Z" books

FlamingTomatoes Wed 04-Jul-07 21:03:55

Hatchet

My brother LOVED this book!

christie1 Wed 04-Jul-07 21:12:07

Have you tried horrible histories? My ds loves them. A nice mix of works, pictures etc but lots of history although the gory aspects are highlighted of course to appeal to 8 year old boys. Another favorite is captain underpants which got my ds reading fiction. They are very funny in that 8 year old boy kind of way.

Giuliettatoday Fri 06-Jul-07 16:48:21

Many thanks to all of you for your great recommendations, this is what I was after. They are really helpful as apart from one book he has not read anything of the suggested books yet.
Obviously I have seen Lemony Snicket books in book shops but it never occured to me that this might be something for my ds (don' t know why - will definitely give it a try now).
Looking forward to visiting the library and relevant book websites and book shops.

Any more suggestions of course always welcome, I will be back to check this thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now