Talk

Advanced search

7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

(22 Posts)
Wearywithteens Thu 10-Jan-19 22:14:25

Half way through and still haven’t got a clue who the characters are, some of main themes - what letter? What gun? Lots of conversations about things that have meant to have happened but I don’t recall them? Tell me it’s worth it!

OP’s posts: |
HarryHarry Fri 11-Jan-19 02:45:54

Just finished it last night. TBH I didn’t really like it. I kept reading because I wanted to find out what it was all about but the ending was kind of unsatisfying. There are so many characters and so much going on that I found it hard to follow so I never felt like I was trying to solve it along with the protagonist. By the time he started putting the clues together I had forgotten most of them so I couldn’t really understand how he’d reached his conclusions. It seemed like he was just pulling things out of the air rather than using logic. There seemed to be far too much reliance on guesswork. I suppose you could argue that the disorientation you feel as a reader, the lack of a sense of time and place, is meant to mirror the characters’ feelings, but I actually found it quite frustrating. I have to say that I also found the writing a bit amateurish.

Topseyt Fri 11-Jan-19 02:52:48

I have just finished it about a week ago.

I did enjoy it, but it could be confusing with all of the hopping around and coming back as different people in different bodies.

artisanscotcheggs Fri 11-Jan-19 03:29:48

I got that as part of my audible sub, and I actually returned it because I got bored.

StoodOnALego Sat 12-Jan-19 16:14:45

I loved this book! I found it a really unique and freeing experience to not really know what was going on and for it to gradually be pieced together.

2rebecca Sun 13-Jan-19 23:41:28

I really enjoyed it until the last 10%. I felt it got over complex and silly in the end and it still didn't really make sense. I think it would have been better without having to be a competition against other people and without all the footman stuff. Too many ideas for 1 novel. Still interesting though and I like books where the same thing is seen through different people.

Zebraantelopegiraffe Fri 25-Jan-19 12:20:11

Just finished this, I loved it! What an amazing story, it was like reading a game of cludeo

VoleClock Mon 28-Jan-19 14:47:14

I think this could possibly be the worst book I have ever read - felt I had to struggle on to the end as it was chosen for the book club I belong to. I really didn't care and the whole setting was awful and unbelievable before we even got onto the changing bodies bit. The bloody hunt - people who go out with shotguns are not going on a hunt, they are going on a shoot (just ask Will Grundy and Brian), if there is a hunt the horses are the hunters and the people are huntsmen, huntswomen. People are only hunters when they are looking for heirs or bargains! The whole thing gave me the rage.

TuttiFrutti Thu 07-Feb-19 16:09:29

I couldn't finish this, and it's not often I say that about a book. What a disappointment - several people had recommended it and I saw it won a Costa award, so my hopes were high.

It was confusing and I couldn't keep track of all the characters, plus I felt there was no proper characterisation - the different people just seemed like cardboard cutouts. I couldn't get emotionally invested, so didn't care what happened to any of them.

Like Voleclock, I was annoyed by the factual inaccuracy of mixing up "hunting" and "shooting". And what period was it supposed to be set in? The characters talked in the language of today, but they were in a stately home with a butler and cook, and people driving around in horse and carriages, although at one point someone borrows an "automobile", so presumably it was meant to be the 1920s/1930s?

mytieisascarf Thu 07-Feb-19 16:15:09

I really, really loved this. Literally couldn't put it down until I had finished. I thought the concept was brilliant - a modern take on the whodunnit genre. I didn't find it particularly complex or difficult to keep up with. I read some reviews on amazon prior to buying it and almost didn't buy it because so many people hate it but I was really drawn to the concept so bought it anyway and was delighted I did. Must be a marmite book.

DesdemonasHandkerchief Thu 07-Feb-19 16:26:26

It's not worth it!

MissKittyBeaudelais Thu 07-Feb-19 16:43:42

I struggled through this a year or so ago. Kept leaving it and coming back. I never finished it. However, I cheated and watched BBC’s adaptation from 2005....brilliant! I know, I’m a philistine 😐

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimall Thu 07-Feb-19 17:05:24

I absolutely loved it. I read it in one sitting. The ending was a bit unsatisfactory but overall I thought it was a great book.

However, I cheated and watched BBC’s adaptation from 2005

Whut?! The book only came out last year (I'm assuming you're on the wrong thread? @MissKittyBeaudelais?)

mytieisascarf Thu 07-Feb-19 20:35:43

Now that would be a twist in keeping with the novel. 😂

RedForShort Fri 15-Feb-19 14:35:33

Halfway though this at the moment. Finding it quite a drag (bookclub book so I'm going to keep going).

I find the idea appealing but the inclusion of the 'Plague Doctor' just ruins it. Find the idea of there being a controlling mysterious character a cop out in having to create a clever plot. Same for 'the footman'. and Anna's book.

Add to that the characters are all a bit 2D - I'm not loving it!!!

Pinkruler Fri 15-Feb-19 15:30:00

Characters definitely all a bit 2D. I think with a book like this you need some wit and verve to go along with the high concept; books like Time Traveller's Wife and How to stop Time have this but that was lacking I felt.

Though the ending was a bit inconclusive tbh.

LondonBelongsToMe Fri 15-Feb-19 15:37:32

i hated it! struggled through expecting a payoff which never arrived. I had already read Marisha Pessl's "Neverworld Wake", which although it's a young adult book is far better written and has proper characters who you give a vague hoot about. She used the same groundhog day / single character rescue idea and executed it far better I think.

evelyn needed a good editor.

hackmum Fri 15-Feb-19 19:57:04

I found it baffling. There were too many things going on - so you had a Groundhog Day element, a time travel element and a person inhabiting another person’s body (or bodies) element. I wasn’t convinced it even made sense on its own terms - all that reliving the same day and leaving clues for different versions of his own character didn’t completely make sense. Also...why? If it was supposed to be some kind of afterlife it was an incredibly elaborate kind of punishment. I did think the multiple twists at the end were very clever.

RedForShort Sun 17-Feb-19 17:20:44

I have actually managed to finish it. It actually got worse, the amount of twist shoved in was at an idiotic level.

The end just didn't come quick enough. I feel I need an award for finishing, least that'd make it worthwhile.

Now require a really good book to reverse my disappointment!!

pippistrelle Mon 18-Feb-19 11:02:20

I tried it as an audio book and then as a text. Didn't get on with it either way, although I really wanted to. But did notice that when I fist tried, she had seven and a half lives. By the time it came out in paperback, she was down to seven. I wonder why it changed title.

RedForShort Tue 19-Feb-19 11:08:38

7 1/2 deaths is the USA title. There's a book call 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' so the extra half was added to distinguish it from that.

Unsure why it's only USA they needed this distinction, nor why it would just make more sense tk give her a different first name!

flitwit99 Fri 19-Apr-19 20:05:18

I'm late to the thread I know but it doesn't seem worthwhile starting another.
I loved about the first 3/4 of this book then suddenly just lost it. I just wanted to know who had actually killed her without wanting to read any more. I'm on holiday and had nothing else to read or I would probably have given up.
I've now finished the book and am still not entirely sure who killed who. But I won't be reading it again to find out.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in