Talk

Advanced search

The Seven Lives of Evelyn Hardcastle

(21 Posts)
aconcertpianist Wed 12-Dec-18 11:01:21

Has anyone else been disappointed with this?

Foolishly, I hadn't really understood that it was some sort of fantasy book before picking it up but I was so disappointed.
It was repetitive, creaked and was, in my opinion, over-written. I struggled to see how it had even been published.

However, I seem to be in a minority of one!

OP’s posts: |
CraicMammy Wed 12-Dec-18 11:06:37

I’m with you on this, I’m about half way through and I’m going to give up. I love a whodunnit/mystery story, but this is v disappointing. Its not thrilling, I have no desire to see what happens to the characters. It’s written without feeling.

It’s been published because it’s clever hmm

usedtobeboss Wed 12-Dec-18 11:15:05

Glad I'm not the only one! I hate giving up on books, and it promised so much, but I'm fed up with it. If anyone can give me a good reason for keeping going, I'll slog on, but it would have to be a very good reason...

DoraChance Wed 12-Dec-18 11:20:07

I was really looking toward to this one but I just couldn't get past the first few chapters. Not my cup of tea!

aconcertpianist Wed 12-Dec-18 11:25:11

I instantly feel better! Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
madeleineinlondon Wed 12-Dec-18 11:29:39

I'm also glad I'm not alone! I gave up on it halfway through too. I found it incredibly dreary and I just didn't care. Like you, I was expecting it to be more whodunnit and less fantasy. Not for me at all.

BitterLemonTart Wed 12-Dec-18 11:36:35

I loved it 🤦‍♀️ However I did listen to the audiobook and was thinking it might be hard to read. I thought it was clever and showed how many directions one life could take.

Ilovewillow Wed 12-Dec-18 11:43:32

I have read it and found the first half fairly laborious but kept going and quite enjoyed it in the end. Sadly it wasn't as amazing as I was hoping it was going to be. One for the charity shop rather than a keeper!

Slytherdor Mon 17-Dec-18 23:27:08

I thought it was the best book I read this year! grin

I’ve even bought a few as Christmas presents!

Just loved everything about it

Alaaya Mon 17-Dec-18 23:30:38

I loved it. Binge read it, couldn't put it down, was sad when it ended. Brilliant fantasy twist on a classic country house murder mystery.

TeaMeBasil Wed 19-Dec-18 14:00:07

Blimey it's really love or hate with this book isn't it - sadly I was in the hate camp, really looked forward to it and gave up after 3 chapters, just couldn't get it! So disappointed!

boffin9207 Fri 21-Dec-18 22:45:00

I am not a fan. Currently struggling to get past the first chapter! Can’t quite give up though.

Clawdy Thu 27-Dec-18 16:22:56

Couldn't wait to get my hands on this one, but so disappointed. Far too many characters, very confusing. I battled on to nearly half way, then decided enough was enough. Such a let-down.

RyvitaBrevis Thu 27-Dec-18 16:38:32

I loved the concept but I was a little disappointed with how complicated the solution was. I enjoyed it, though.

BeardedMum Sun 30-Dec-18 15:50:28

I also loved the concept but gave up half way as it became too repetitive and I did not really gel with any of the characters.

toastedbeagle Sun 30-Dec-18 16:11:38

I enjoyed it but felt the ending let it down.

DerelictWreck Mon 31-Dec-18 12:05:29

Same as pps - really enjoyed it though the ending was a little anti-climatic.

Will say it took me a while to really 'get it' which is strange as I usually love books that jump in time and you race to figure out before you're told the answer!

About 1/3 of the way through I suddenly got enough clues to enjoy it and from then on it was really good.

pollyhemlock Thu 03-Jan-19 13:31:42

I struggled a little to get into this, but now about halfway through and really enjoying the puzzle aspect. My theory is that they are all stuck inside a computer game. Probably completely wrong!

Panicmode1 Fri 04-Jan-19 08:09:28

I thought the premise was brilliant, and it started strongly, but felt that the ending let it down. So, I loved the first half and found the second very laborious and over written.

pollyhemlock Fri 04-Jan-19 14:30:06

Now finished this and I thought the ending was OK, though there were perhaps too many things left unexplained. An interesting twist on the country house murder mystery . The characters don’t have much depth, but I think that’s kind of the point.

PeckyOwl Fri 04-Jan-19 17:42:52

Just finished this and I'm relieved it's over! I also didn't realise it was more fantasy than whodunit. Curiosity kept me reading but it just felt too clever for its own good... So many characters but not a single one I was interested in.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in