Talk

Advanced search

If I enjoyed Bryony Gordon, Alexandra Hemminsley and Adam Kay, what else will I like?

(11 Posts)
flimp Tue 20-Nov-18 12:09:23

I really enjoyed BG's Mad Girl and Eat, Drink, Run, Hemmo's Leap in and Adam Kay's This Is Going to Hurt. All were interesting, entertaining and yet easy to read.

Two of them are about sport but that's not the connection, it's more that all three have engaging writing styles and they are interesting authors who I have come to admire.

Can anyone recommend something for me to try next?

OP’s posts: |
HelloViroids Tue 20-Nov-18 12:10:29

Following! Also try the Wrong Knickers by Bryony Gordon

CrookedMe Tue 20-Nov-18 12:12:50

Have you read Hemmo's other book, Running Like a Girl, I think it's called? I enjoyed that.

flimp Tue 20-Nov-18 12:23:26

I will definitely do their other books too! I just wondered who else is out there with that same kind of vibe?

RomaineCalm Tue 20-Nov-18 20:10:58

You could try 'The Pants of Perspective' by Antonia McNuff. I've just read and enjoyed it and I liked the ones on your original list.

flimp Thu 22-Nov-18 08:55:59

thank you, I"ll have a look at that.

southeastdweller Thu 22-Nov-18 10:08:46

Possibly one or both of Sathnam Sanghera's books?

AnnPerkins Thu 22-Nov-18 10:24:50

I loved the Pants of Perspective.

Have you tried George Mahood? He has a funny, engaging style. His travel books are good and I especially loved Operation Ironman, when he trains for an Ironman after having back surgery. I've read it twice already.

Also Helen Croydon's This Girl Ran: Tales of a Party Girl Turned Triathlete is excellent.

Much more serious but both absolutely gripping: Christopher McDougall's Born to Run and Natural Born Heroes.

Sleepyhead11 Sun 16-Dec-18 20:10:32

I loved My Mad Dad by Robin Hollingworth - about when she went home to look after her dad who was diagnosed with alzheimers when she was 25. It's sad beautiful, funny, with awful dramatic heartbreaking moments, and such an easy engaging read. It's written in diary style, and I know this is such a cliche but even though it's sad it is also really life affirming. I gobbled it up, then cried.

FreshEyre Sun 16-Dec-18 23:25:44

@AnnPerkins Thank you for the recommendation. I have just started 'Operation Ironman' and it's exactly my sort of book.

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Dec-18 23:40:10

AH’s Running Like a Girl is a good read.

Do Not Harm by Henry Marsh is similar in style and content to This is Going to Hurt.

H is for Hawk - Helen MacDonald is a bit different, but still narrated by the main protagonist, close. 1 to 1 style. I found it fascinating.

Have you read any of the Bill Bryson travel books. They are that informal style. U

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in