Talk

Advanced search

Holiday location book recommendations - Aldeburgh/Suffolk

(23 Posts)
SplatPancake Sun 05-Aug-18 15:15:36

We’ve just this afternoon booked a last minute week away in Aldeburgh- I have never been to that side of the country.

Any suggestions for books set there/Suffolk in general to infuse me with sense of location?

Dottierichardson Sun 05-Aug-18 15:30:11

Esther Freud's Mr Mac and Me is set in Suffolk, she has a holiday home there and became interested in local history. Also Goodreads has a Suffolk reading list:
www.goodreads.com/places/4745-suffolk-england

SplatPancake Sun 05-Aug-18 15:38:27

Thank you Dottie!!

Dottierichardson Sun 05-Aug-18 15:41:57

Seem to remember a nice bookshop in Aldeburgh, not sure if it's still there but if so will have local stuff, an MR James story set in Aldeburgh if you like ghostly things! Hope you have a great break.

SplatPancake Sun 05-Aug-18 19:53:17

You’re a goldmine of information Dottie!

And thank you - haven’t had a break for 2 years and am dealing with elderly parents at distance, young children, a grumpy husband and a crappy work situation. I am so looking forward to sea air, reading, and a bag of chips!!

marilynmonroe Mon 06-Aug-18 08:24:09

Try the Julie Myerson. I can't remember what it's called but think it's set in aldeburgh. It's a mystery thriller.

oldbirdy Mon 06-Aug-18 08:28:02

Aldeburgh isn't the best beach, shingle and stones except at very low tide, though it's a pretty town. Drive up to Walberswick for a sandier Beach with dunes. Fish and chips are excellent though.

SplatPancake Mon 06-Aug-18 19:01:40

Thanks all!!

TanFranceFangirl Mon 06-Aug-18 19:05:27

The Dig by John Preston is set at Sutton Hoo
Marion's Angels by K.M.Peyton is set at Blythburgh

MaybeDoctor Mon 06-Aug-18 19:06:39

Wilkie Collins - No Name

StressedandNameChanged Mon 06-Aug-18 19:07:07

Penelope Fitzgerald The Bookshop
W G Sebald Rings of Saturn
Esther Freud The Sea house
Julie Myerson Something might happen, The Stopped Heart
Ronald Blythe Akenfield

rabbitsandrhubarb Mon 06-Aug-18 19:09:05

Good bookshop in Aldeburgh is still there, also love the cinema there.

I think the book 'The Bookshop' by Penelope Fitzgerald is actually set in a fictional version of Aldeburgh, but the film version (out now) was filmed in Ireland in a location that in no way resembles the East Anglian coast.

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Mon 06-Aug-18 19:12:53

The mere at Thorpeness is fun. It's a boating lake in the theme of Peter Pan, you can hire boats and spend the afternoon exploring the little islands. Nice pub there too, and about half an hour's walk along the beach from Aldeburgh.

SplatPancake Mon 06-Aug-18 20:04:31

Fantastic recommendations - both literary and otherwise! Thank you x

Piggywaspushed Mon 06-Aug-18 20:24:11

Pretty sure PD James is Suffolk?

StressedandNameChanged Mon 06-Aug-18 20:51:43

P.D. James Unnatural Causes is set in Dunwich. Death in Holy orders is also set on the Suffolk coast but further north.

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Mon 06-Aug-18 21:19:06

There's Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror too of course! Set in the US but inspired by the vanishing village of Dunwich. (Plus there's another nice pub there and a good fish and chip shop on the beach).

carbuckety Tue 07-Aug-18 14:51:33

The Bookshop is set in Southwold ( just up the road from Aldeburgh).

Esther Freud: mr Mac and me is lovely
So is :the sea house by same author ( she lives in Walberswick which is across the river from Southwold)
Julie Myers on : something might happen
Dodie smith: I capture the castle is inland but not far away near Eye
Joanna Trollop: daughters in law
Sarah Perry: the Essex Serpent is North Essex south suffolk ( so Not Aldeburgh) but has a similar sense of place.

MR James: a warning to the curious

I live in one of these places and would say that aldeburgh and Southwold are lovely for a wander, decent shops ( many independents), art galleries, good food ( two magpies bakery a personal favourite) and cafes and pubs. Walberswick is best for swimming I think. Near by Woodbridge is nice as is Snape with the Maltings and Benjamin Britten connections ( good concert hall). We have good fish and chips too! Orford is nice too though further south and has a good oyster place and bakery. It is lovely. Inland is nice too. Enjoy!

SplatPancake Wed 08-Aug-18 21:50:20

What amazing responses- thank you all so much.

Kindle loaded (Myerson, Fitzgerald, Freud); I’ve asked one friend for her Dodie Smith and another for her PD James; book tokens at hand to spend in recommended bookshop when I’m there.

Now for some peace to read them!!

oldbirdy Wed 08-Aug-18 21:58:14

Well if you love a higgeldy piggeldy second hand bookshop, you need to go to the one on the main square in Framingham or the one is Westleton. Both Aladdin's caves.

oldbirdy Wed 08-Aug-18 21:58:27

...in Westleton

tripfiction Sat 11-Aug-18 13:33:39

Sweet William is set Aldeburgh www.tripfiction.com/books/sweet-william/

And here is a choice of curated books set all around Suffolk:
www.tripfiction.com/find-a-book/?location=suffolk&btitle=&bauthor=&genre=Genre...

Have a lovely holiday!

firsttimemothergoose Sat 11-Aug-18 20:56:43

Iris Button writes books based in Suffolk too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: