Talk

Advanced search

Books set in Norway

(15 Posts)
parrotonmyshoulder Sun 01-Jul-18 17:32:07

Any recommendations for what I should read before my holiday to Norway?

Dottierichardson Sun 01-Jul-18 23:00:38

Asne Seierstad's One of Us although on the surface a true crime book about Anders Breivik is also a fascinating, beautifully written, look at Norway and its culture, her most recent work Two Sisters is supposed to be equally good. Naïve Super is a short, cult novel by Erland Loe, mostly set outside Norway but a Norwegian classic. There is, of course, work by Karl Ove Knaussgard whose series of 'novels' are as much about Norway as about Knaussgard, some of his books are set in Sweden so check beforehand. Norway often grouped with the rest of Scandanavia so could look at non-fiction book The Almost Nearly Perfect People by Michael Booth.

heronsinflight Wed 18-Jul-18 00:12:08

Knut Hamsun is Norway's major literary figure, but not exactly light holiday reading...

LoniceraJaponica Wed 18-Jul-18 00:13:23

Jo Nesbo is a crime writer. His Harry Hole detective series are mostly set in Oslo, and are brilliant.

pipnchops Wed 08-Aug-18 13:31:09

The storm sister by Lucinda Riley

tripfiction Sat 11-Aug-18 13:39:50

Here is a curated list of books set in Norway for some literary wanderlust:

www.tripfiction.com/find-a-book/?location=Norway&btitle=&bauthor=&genre=Genre...

Have a lovely holiday!

KeithLeMonde Sat 11-Aug-18 13:43:24

Moomins! x 1000000000

KeithLeMonde Sat 11-Aug-18 13:44:41

Dammit, are they Finnish? They are, aren't they?

<Hangs head>

PleasingFabrics Sat 11-Aug-18 13:51:09

If you can find them the Elling books by Ingvar Ambjørnsen, they're really lovely. Also Anne Holt's crime novels are brilliant. For something a bit more literary you could try Lars Saabye Christensen.
(The moomins are Finnish by the way wink)

PleasingFabrics Sat 11-Aug-18 13:51:44

Opps, cross posted. Didn't mean to rub it in grin

KeithLeMonde Sat 11-Aug-18 17:32:10

It's OK, I am still cringing...

Dottierichardson Tue 14-Aug-18 15:27:20

Keith wouldn't worry about it, the Moomins are always worth promoting, I didn't read them until I was an adult and still loved them!

PolytheneSam Tue 14-Aug-18 15:31:05

Sophie's world.

PlantsArePeopleToo Wed 15-Aug-18 00:00:20

I'm Travelling Alone and its sequel (which I have but haven't got round to reading yet) The Owl Only Hunts At Night. I cannot for the life of me remember who wrote them though.

PlantsArePeopleToo Wed 15-Aug-18 00:02:33

*The Owl Always Hunts At Night

<head desk>

The author is Samuel Bjork.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: