Talk

Advanced search

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

(26 Posts)
Carmenere Sun 20-May-07 21:24:50

My mum has pleaded with me to buy this book so I have done today. Now has anyone on here read it, is it the hippy dippy clap trap that I suspect or is it common sense?
My mum is a devotee of Ekart Tolle but I do think that his stuff is a load of baloney so is this more of the same or is it worth a read?

KTeePee Mon 21-May-07 11:04:16

Haven't read it but read a review which didn't really rate it...(I had been wondering if it was written by someone I knew but turns out she is different nationality...)

Carmenere Mon 21-May-07 11:38:56

It is still beside my bed unopened.

ghosty Mon 21-May-07 11:43:40

I have read it Carmenere. I loved it. I actually found it life changing ... I recommend it to everyone I know. But not everyone is ready for it.

ghosty Mon 21-May-07 11:44:24

I have never read Ekart Tolle. Never heard of him.

Carmenere Mon 21-May-07 11:48:59

He wrote a book called The Power of Now about 'being in the now' or summat. It's not that I write off every self help book or system but I remain naturally cynical iyswim.
I'll read The Secret and see.

ghosty Mon 21-May-07 11:58:20

Well, I think it makes sense. The DVD is good too. The book is short, easy to read, and to the point. I loved it and was never much into self help stuff before ...
HTH

ghosty Mon 21-May-07 11:58:54

Let me know what you think

TwoIfBySea Mon 21-May-07 20:48:27

Oprah is a big fan.

I think it is just common sense really. If you think positive thoughts good things happen - okay then.

expatinscotland Mon 21-May-07 20:54:03

I keep thinking positive thoughts that I'll win the Lotto and it still doesn't happen.

Load of cobblers, IMO.

expatinscotland Mon 21-May-07 20:54:27

'Oprah is a big fan. '

'Nuff said!

TwoIfBySea Mon 21-May-07 21:46:20

Apparently the author ripped the concept of the book off of an American couple who have been spouting this for ages. Guess they weren't thinking positively that day!

ghosty Mon 21-May-07 22:50:44

Expat, I read it before Oprah mentioned it on her show ... so am I let off?
I am now reading the book by the couple you mention Twoifbysea ... I wouldn't recommend it tbh ... very much on the loon side ... the secret is better.

aikigypsy Thu 24-May-07 23:04:47

I did not read it, but was made to watch some of the DVD in a sales meeting a few months ago. Some of my coworkers think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I could barely keep myself from busting up laughing through the melodramatic music and stories.

I understand that some people get a lot out of it, but I like to keep a bit of my skepticism. It's too heavy-handed for me.

Carmenere Fri 07-Sep-07 12:04:08

I ressurected this thread as Cod mentioned it on anohter thread today.
My scepticism has been dashed, I think that this book has a LOT of sense to it. My life and out look has improved greatly, not because of reading a book but because of consiously trying to shift my attitude. I have lost a stone, a stone ffs. that is the first time in my adult life that I have managed to tackle my ever increasing weight problem and it is because I found it within me to change my attitude, partly from reading this book and partly from being ready. But seriously it has some pretty important advice about outlook ect. It is not revolutionary it is just common sense.

Piffle Fri 07-Sep-07 12:05:56

its fabulous i have it on cd
it has also had dramatic effect on 13 yr old ds who ordered it first

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 12:07:01

Message withdrawn

Carmenere Fri 07-Sep-07 12:10:09

My dsis is really into it and her career has REALLY taken off seriously and she has lost lts of weight. The two things she has been battleing with her whole life. It is just sensible about being positive ect. I think it is great, yes get it Cod.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 12:12:34

Message withdrawn

Carmenere Fri 07-Sep-07 13:13:46

No it is piss easy to read because it is designed for the mass market so you just can dip into it wherever and read it in bits and pieces. I just read it occasionally before I go to sleep.

It is kind of along the lines of 'if you consider yourself to be the type of person who always finds parking spaces easily, you generally do'. and it works, really. Not all the time but most of the time.

MamaG Sun 28-Feb-10 22:45:46

I've read half of it today

am hooked

I visualised a parking space at notoriously hard topark place - got one immediately

thought about DS1's birthday party and the fuckers who haefvn't repleid - got THREE phone clals in teh next 10 mins shock

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sun 28-Feb-10 23:07:59

I have read it, but I do not think the power of positive thought is a new concept.

There is no such thing as 'luck' etc, we all create our own luck by the way in which we approach situations, and if you are open to all possibilities, you can move on.

MamaG Mon 01-Mar-10 07:00:44

Good point, but I think that it has good techniques for keeping positive etc

and just HOW do you explain those phone calls and parkinig space, hmm? It was MAGIC grin

LoveMyGirls Mon 01-Mar-10 07:05:29

I haven't read it but have heard about it, read a bit about it on the internet and tbh I think it's worth a try, what have you got to lose, at the very least you gain a more optomistic view and if that comes with bonuses then thats all the better.

MamaG Mon 01-Mar-10 07:09:28

I'm currently thinking "thin thoughts" <shallow>

Yes, I AM a size 10

<twirl>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now