Talk

Advanced search

Books for Greek holiday?

(25 Posts)
DailyFailAreTwats Tue 29-May-18 16:31:46

Hi - heading to Greece (Corfu and Paxos) in a couple of weeks and planning to do a lot of reading. Does anyone have and recommendations of appropriate books?

OP’s posts: |
MeanTangerine Tue 29-May-18 16:33:14

Obvious choice is Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

concretesieve Tue 29-May-18 16:39:13

If you haven't read it, My Family and Other Animals. Classic and set in Corfu.

DailyFailAreTwats Tue 29-May-18 17:29:05

Thanks! Read those already. Lived My Family - old favourite. Have to say I didn't like Capt Corelli though - I found the ending very trite!

cubscout Tue 29-May-18 20:38:22

Victoria Hislop had written some good books set in Greece- The Island about a leper colony (better than it sounds!) and another called The Thread I think about a refugee seamstress.

DancelikeEmmaGoldman Tue 29-May-18 22:06:24

Mary Stewart's This Rough Magic is set in Corfu. A number of her books are set in Greece - My Brother Michael and The Moonspinners are the titles I remember.

tripfiction Wed 30-May-18 17:19:28

Ok, so you have had some top titles so far.... try these:

One of my faves from last year was Beautiful Animals by Lawrence Osborne, set on Hydra

My Map of You by Isabelle Broome, Zakynthos... she is always good a light books that are strong on setting

We just read Aphrodite's Tears by Hannah Fielding as part of the #TFBookClub - the setting is wonderfully evoked but there's a lot of unrequited passion in it that gets a bit tedious ...

And if nothing grabs you, have a look at this link where I have collated books set in Greece www.tripfiction.com/find-a-book/?location=Greece&btitle=&bauthor=&genre=Genre...

buttybuttybutthole Wed 30-May-18 18:09:41

Oh definitely the island by Victoria hislop 😍

2002Birthday Wed 30-May-18 19:55:07

Loved The Island. Just read My Big Greek Summer.

TheTeaFairy Wed 30-May-18 19:57:34

The Magus by John Fowles.

Once read, forever smitten. smile

boldlygoingsomewhere Wed 30-May-18 19:59:17

Circe by Madeline Miller is a great read. Certainly wished I was reading it on a Greek island.

PepeLePew Thu 31-May-18 09:53:22

Was going to suggest Madeleine Miller - I read The song of Achilles in Greece last year. What about Mythos by Stephen Fry? I loved that and was inspired to read more widely around Greek myths as a result.

DailyFailAreTwats Thu 31-May-18 20:29:35

Fab recommendations- thank you!!

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Thu 31-May-18 20:34:35

The Odyssey!

Or I would also recommend the Stephen Fry book

Yiayoula Thu 31-May-18 20:42:11

Eleni , by Nicholas Gage : and also the sequel , A Place for Us.
Not ‘ light holiday reading ‘ but highly recommended.

Hassled Thu 31-May-18 20:46:28

The Magus by John Fowles. A lot of the action is on a Greek island. It's an amazing book in a worrying, sinister sort of way.

Hassled Thu 31-May-18 20:47:03

TeaFairy is there ahead of me grin. Nice to meet a fellow fan.

IAmMatty Thu 31-May-18 20:55:36

Birds without wings- Louis de Bernieres

TheTeaFairy Fri 01-Jun-18 10:32:08

smile Hassled

midsomermurderess Fri 01-Jun-18 16:21:14

The two Faces of January by Patricia Highsmith, set mostly in Athens and Crete. And if Ancient Greece interests you, have a lookat some of Mary Renault's books, eg the King Must Die.

IndigoApple Fri 15-Jun-18 21:18:25

Have you gone yet? I'm so jealous you're going to Paxos. Went a few years ago and it was lovely.

No Greek reading recommendations but the book I read while there was The Versions of US by Laura Barnett which I enjoyed and will be forever linked with Paxos for me!

aroomwithaperfectview Fri 15-Jun-18 21:26:37

I second Victoria Hislop. Can't remember the title of the book but really enjoyable reading.

BringMeTea Sat 16-Jun-18 16:57:06

Third The Magus. What a book.

BringMeTea Sat 16-Jun-18 16:58:31

Oh, OP is probably already there... wonder what she's reading... smile

everycowandagain Sat 16-Jun-18 22:35:08

Some great suggestions. I love to read books set in wherever I am on holiday. Unfortunately we have recently been mostly to centerparcs, which is bad for both my love of fiction and my love of travel!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in