Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend any good crime mysteries?

(23 Posts)
PumpkinPie2016 Sun 25-Mar-18 22:19:00

I am into crime fiction - mainly murder mystery but other crime too and was wondering if anyone can give any good recommendations?

I really enjoyed Ruth Rendall - the girl next door recently and Ingrid Black's the dead and the dark eye. So, anything similar would be good grin

OP’s posts: |
ragmayo Sun 25-Mar-18 22:20:14

Anything by Mark Billingham, Karin Slaughter or Val McDermid

Ohyesiam Sun 25-Mar-18 22:22:23

Robert Galbraith, particularly Cuccoo Calling

Desmondo2016 Sun 25-Mar-18 22:25:49

Nicci French
Angela Marsons
Lisa Gardner
Tess Gerritsen
Damien Boyd
Helen Black
Michael Connelly
Val Mcdermid
Karen Rose
Kendra Elliot
Rachel Abbot
Susan Hill (Simon Serrailler series)
Mark Billingham

I read a LOT of crime lol.

rascallyrascal Sun 25-Mar-18 22:30:13

The classic Agatha Christie!

dontquotemeondailymail Sun 25-Mar-18 22:30:31

Try books by G J Minett.

I'm a little biased as I know the author, but he's really surprised me with such great books. Brilliant (unbiased!!) reviews on amazon as well.

CremeBrulee Sun 25-Mar-18 22:31:24

The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz is very good - unexpected twists a plenty.

His newer one The Word is Murder is also good, kind of a fictional autobiography do quite an unusual idea.

GoofyIsACow Sun 25-Mar-18 22:34:22

Peter May The China Thrillers, just finishing the first one of five (i think)
Brilliant!

LeMesmer Sun 25-Mar-18 22:39:18

Will have to try some of these.
Pierre Lamaitre ia very good.

CramptonHodnet Mon 26-Mar-18 08:16:57

I've just read The Dry by Jane Harper. That was really good. And there's a second one in the series too.

Seconding The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. That was brilliant. I loved the format of a book within a book.

Mrstwiddle Mon 26-Mar-18 08:20:52

I agree with a previous poster, you can’t beat Agatha Christie, I’ve read all her books numerous times and it still takes me ages to remember whodunnit smile

rascallyrascal Mon 26-Mar-18 12:07:40

Mrstwiddle I can never, ever work out who did it!! She throws some real twists in there!

Toomuchsplother Mon 26-Mar-18 13:49:14

Ann Cleeves , her Vera and Shetland books

PlausibleSuit Mon 26-Mar-18 14:06:29

Another vote for Val McDermid. Wonderful, yet chilling, writer.

I also like Ian Rankin's Rebus novels and Colin Dexter's Morse books. Both owe a debt to PD James and Ruth Rendell in my view.

A bit different, and either will be your tasse de thé or won't be, Stuart MacBride's Logan McCrae novels. They're dark, gritty and sometimes gruesome but capture the gallows humour of Aberdonian police.

Elly Griffiths writes novels set in North Norfolk about a forensic archaeologist solving crimes. Present tense style takes some getting used to but the stories and sense of place are superb.

Historical slant - C.J. Sansom and the Shardlake series. Set in Tudor England. Very readable and historically fascinating.

Minette Walters's stuff is also unsettlingly brilliant.

cdtaylornats Mon 26-Mar-18 14:13:06

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=128707&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100

Worth looking at these - very cheap - and if you like one then you've already got more; if you don't they are cheap enough to forget about.

Marv1nGay3 Mon 26-Mar-18 14:16:07

I have enjoyed the crime thrillers by Arnaldur Indridason. Detective Erlendur.

PumpkinPie2016 Mon 26-Mar-18 18:02:06

Ooh thank you so much for all of the suggestions! At this rate I will be spending my entire salary on books grin

OP’s posts: |
LoniceraJaponica Mon 26-Mar-18 18:11:36

So glad Peter May has been recommended. He is an excellent author. GoofyIsACow have you read the Lewis trilogy? They are even better than the China thrillers. The Enzo series (set in France are also excellent). He is one of my favourite writers.

Another vote for Anne Cleeves, and another brilliant crime writer is Jo Nesbo. His Harry Hole series is unputdownable. Yet another brilliant Scandi crime writer is Jussi Adler-Olsen – just brilliant.

I love crime fiction and am noting down some of the suggestions.

If you want something really light hearted I suggest Alexander McCall Smith's no1 Ladies Detective Agency series. It was televised a few years ago and was lovely Sunday evening viewing.

Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series is also worth a read, and last, but not least, I love a good Sherlock Holmes story. Conan Doyle is very readable.

powertripe Fri 30-Mar-18 03:34:28

Kathy Reichs - don’t be put off by the dreary Bones Series on TV.

Feliciaxxx Fri 30-Mar-18 03:54:43

Patricia Cornwell
John Connolly
Kathy Reichs

SenecaFalls Fri 30-Mar-18 04:13:59

PD James (along with Rendell the best of the best in my opinion)
Ian Rankin
Margaret Maron (mysteries are set in North Carolina: a female judge is the sleuth)
Elizabeth George Inspector Lynley series
Ann Cleeves
Denise Mina (highly recommended for Tartan Noir fans)
Susan Hill Serrailer series

SD1978 Fri 30-Mar-18 04:26:19

For funny try Christopher Brookmyre. Makes me snigger in public. Also Stuart Macbride. Again the interaction between the main character and his boss have had me sniggering in public and being judged, but both are good crime writers, slightly left of field.

AstrantiaMajor Fri 30-Mar-18 09:20:32

I am just starting the Peter May, Lewis trilogy. I am really enjoying it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in