Talk

Advanced search

Audible Recommendations

(40 Posts)
DogzBollox Mon 12-Mar-18 14:30:16

I’ve just joined Audible after reading lots of recommendations on MN.
I’m looking for distractions for a spell in hospital so things to listen to that are gripping or hilarious or otherwise ideal for taking me out of my current surroundings and making time pass more quickly! Maybe a big ask?! I’m generally open to many different genres and types of reading. Thanks!

CMOTDibbler Mon 12-Mar-18 14:40:19

I''m currently loving the Rivers of London series on audiobook. Tony Robinson reading Terry Pratchett is wonderful.
I quite like a Georgette Heyer too -very relaxing

starryskies78 Mon 12-Mar-18 14:42:10

I'm about to go in too for a fair while, and audible will be my saviour! I have many recommendations for Crime and thrillers if they're any good?

Also, Jane Fallon Faking Friends was fab and more light hearted.

HerSymphonyAndSong Mon 12-Mar-18 14:45:43

Just in addition to recommendations on this thread there are some good suggestions (and things to avoid!) on this thread - though not all are Audible ones
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/what_were_reading/2538871-Audiobook-recommendations-shall-we-share-our-highlights-duds?msgid=59326678

HerSymphonyAndSong Mon 12-Mar-18 14:54:31

I have enjoyed

Rivers of London series
Strike series (Robert Galbraith)
Most by Sarah Waters, especially Fingersmith
The Luminaries (v long so value for money!)
Jodi taylor’s Chronicles of st mary’s
The secret history
Various Jilly Coopers
The lie tree
Dickens read by Martin Jarvis

The narrator can make or break the enjoyment of it - there are loads of books I would (and have) enjoy reading but the narrator is too irritating for the audiobook!

moonlight1705 Mon 12-Mar-18 14:56:17

I don't read autobiographies but really enjoyed Sue Perkins 'Spectacles'

I've heard that the Bill Byrson ones are not that good which I am a bit disappointed about.

DogzBollox Mon 12-Mar-18 19:05:18

I’ve just ordered a Tess Gerritson one and Faking Friends so can alternate between the two!

DogzBollox Mon 12-Mar-18 19:07:26

Thanks for that link @HerSymphonyAndSong - lots of the ones on your list are ones I’ve read in paper form. Plus I have a copy of the Sue Perkins autobiography on my shelf! I LOVE Bill Bryson but can imagine his voice being quite soporific.

misskatamari Mon 12-Mar-18 19:21:44

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline! It's my absolute favourite book and it's narrated brilliantly by Wil Wheaton. I must have listened to it at least 20 times. The Harry Potter books are great audiobooks too, narrated by Stephen Fry, just fantastic!

I really enjoyed Robert Webb's book on there too

Doctordonowt Mon 12-Mar-18 19:22:48

Dorothy Koomson writes really well

misskatamari Mon 12-Mar-18 19:24:11

Apprentice -Scarlett city book 1 is a recent one I enjoyed too. It's not something I'd usually pick but it's well done. Also love the Michael Connolly Harry Bosch series (about an LAPD homicide detective).

DogzBollox Mon 12-Mar-18 19:27:21

I fancied the Robert Webb one - will go back for that.

OllyBJolly Mon 12-Mar-18 19:31:14

Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance - totally absorbing and I'm no techy!

Recent ones I've also enjoyed:
Bette & Joan: The Divine Feud by Shaun Considine
Lucy & Desi by Warren G Harris
Sugar Money by Jane Harris
How not to be a boy - Robert Webb
Absolute Pandemonium by Brian Blessed
Orange is the new black by Piper Kerman

I like autobiographies on Audible as I tend to listen while driving and can't follow over involved plots or lots of characters.

RogueAnnJosh Mon 12-Mar-18 19:32:46

The ones I have enjoyed the most:
Harry Potter series
The crimson petal and the white
Bridget Jones series
Pride and predjudice
The god of small things
Arthur miller plays

RogueAnnJosh Mon 12-Mar-18 19:33:21

Oh, and anything by Carrie fisher!

TiredyMcTired Mon 12-Mar-18 19:35:45

The Harry Potter books narrated by Stephen Fry are excellent. Belgravia by Julian Fellowes, Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty, Amy Snow by Tracy Rees, The Frozen Lake by Elizabeth Edmondson and La Belle Sauvage are all books I’ve listened to recently and thoroughly enjoyed. I wonder what the equivalent of “I couldn’t put it down” is for audiobooks? grin

NamelessEnsign Mon 12-Mar-18 19:36:04

Ooh you must listen to How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. The narrator is Mark Meadows and he’s marvellous.

I’ve really enjoyed Lauren Graham’s autobiography (Lorelai from Gilmore Girls) and Kate Mulgrew’s (Janeway). I don’t normally read biography but hearing it read by the actresses is marvellous! Oh and likewise The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher.

I’m dipping in and out of Mythos by Stephen Fry, which is fab. I have yet to listen to The Handmaid’s Tale but I heard the audio edition is chilling and gripping - I love the book and have read it several times, so it will be interesting to listen to something I know so well.

I work loosely in this area and visited an audio studio recently. So much fun!

rm15 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:38:00

Rivers of London hands down! Best audible series out there.

NamelessEnsign Mon 12-Mar-18 19:39:37

Oh and if you have a library card and can get a pin from the service, you can get whatever app your library uses (Hoopla, Libby, BorrowBox etc) and borrow audio and ebooks without any fees, which is fab!

nong45 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:41:01

Another vote for Dickens narrated by Martin Jarvis, I'm listening to a Tale or Two Cities and it's gripping.

Just finished A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark narrated by Juliet Stephenson which really made me laugh, especially all her different voices.

PuntCuffin Mon 12-Mar-18 19:44:45

Another vote for How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. The narration is fabulous.

I also enjoyed La Belle Sauvage, and His Dark Materials trilogy.

I love fantasy, so listened to the whole Game of Thrones series and am now working my way through Robin Hobb.

I tend to listen while walking, and get completely absorbed and keep walking 'just another chapter'! Not much help to you in hospital - hope the stay passes quickly.

I am listening to West Cork at the moment. First time I have listened to a series/podcast like this.

FlyingFairy191 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:45:18

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig... I’m listening to it at the moment as I commute and it is BRILLIANT!!!!

Bapple Mon 12-Mar-18 19:48:08

I loved My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece. It was read by David Tennant and very pleasant listening!

Also enjoyed:
Friend Request,
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine,
A Boy Made of Blocks,
I Let you Go,
The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year, Beside Myself,
Holding (written and read by Graham Norton).

NamelessEnsign Mon 12-Mar-18 19:54:27

So glad other people love the Matt Haif book too! His other books seem to be with the same reader, Mark Meadows.

I’ve been listening to the X Files books by Audible Originals too - love having such familiar voices reading and some of the special effects, too.

I’m a bit obsessed blush

WhyBeDennyDifferent Mon 12-Mar-18 19:56:57

Lots of good ones recommended here so I’ve not got any to add.

Can I recommend podcasts though? They’re a fab way of passing time and mostly around an hour long so you don’t need to dedicate a lot of time. So many genres too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: