Talk

Advanced search

What other authors might I like?

(25 Posts)
800msprint Sun 11-Mar-18 20:11:16

I like crime thrillers with female lead
Nikki French books for example. Would love something similar.

I adored Her fearful symmetry by Audrey Niffeneger

Khaleid Hossani (sp?) Kite runner and thousand splendid suns

Chimamanda Ngozi Adechie books

Life after Life Kate Atkinson

Linda Grant we had it so good

Some chick lit like Nick Hornby, Adele Parks. Marian Keyes.

Any ideas? I've got a beach holiday coming up so I might get the chance to read!!!!! (Two young kiddos in kids club) arghhhhh

Todayissunny Sun 11-Mar-18 20:18:46

Hunger games if not already read or seen it -I couldn't put it down.
Changers series by cooper and cooper (YA fiction but I liked it)
Seven Sisters series by lucinda Riley -easy reading.
Not read the elena ferrante books but they seem to be very popular.

Todayissunny Sun 11-Mar-18 20:21:38

Jojo moyes books if you haven't read any.

BlessYourCottonSocks Sun 11-Mar-18 20:30:12

You'd like Sue Grafton Books - Her Kinsey Millhone series.

A is for Alibi, etc - female detective. Have you read Patricia Cornwell's books? Dr Kay Scarpetta as a medical examiner. Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books are good as he has a female partner, Amelia Sachs who is a strong female lead.

Chic lit - recommend Milly Johnson as being witty and having strong Northern women in. Or Trisha Ashley.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 11-Mar-18 20:30:20

Gillian McAllister is a Mumsnetter, so you could read her books and then grill her on them afterwards!

missmorleyme Sun 11-Mar-18 20:46:23

Cecelia ahern and Chris kuzneski. Both amazing writers.

yikesanotherbooboo Sun 11-Mar-18 21:18:52

Is nick Hornby Chick lit?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 11-Mar-18 21:27:15

If you liked Life after life have you read Behind the Scenes at the Museum? Have you read Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine too?

As for holiday reading, I enjoy Veronica Henry. I think this short story is free on Amazon.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 11-Mar-18 21:28:15

No, Nick Hornby isn't chick lit. He's really good writer - I suppose he'd be 'popular literary' fiction.

I went off Cecelia Ahern when she wrote about a land where things you've lost go to. Completely barmy.

AaarmadillosWhy Sun 11-Mar-18 22:04:54

Tess Gerritsen's books are brilliant.
The heroine is Detective Jane Rizzoli.Start at the first book (The Surgeon) and work your way through. The later books have 2 female leads - still Rizzoli and the forensic sciencist Maura Isles developes a bigger role in late books.

Genuine page turners

littledinosaurs Mon 12-Mar-18 07:38:39

Based on your list I would recommend, if you haven't read them already:

Tana French (crime) - all of her books are great but The Likeness is probably my fav.
Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Welcome to Nowhere - Elizabeth Laird
Trumpet - Jackie Kay
Feeding the Ghosts - Fred d'Aguiar
Nervous Conditions - Tsitsi Dangarembga

Papergirl1968 Mon 12-Mar-18 07:50:07

Diane chamberlain or Jodi Picoult.

Backingvocals Mon 12-Mar-18 08:17:37

Hate the phrase chick lit. It’s light fiction that women read and is therefore valueless. Nick Hornby could well fit into this category but he would hate that.

I think Joanna Trollope is pretty good.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 12-Mar-18 09:38:50

I hate the term chick lit too. I saw a book recently described as choc lit which was in brackets after the title. I’m not even sure what that means hmm

MyNCnameforthreadslikethis Mon 12-Mar-18 09:42:00

Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum series. It's absolutely hilarious, laugh out loud writing. Loosely crime based with hilarious characters and quite easy reading. Perfect holiday books.

Crime wise I love Lee Child, Dennis Lehane, Robert Crais, Jonathan Kellerman, Mark Billingham. Not necessarily sole female leads but great books.

SisterA Mon 12-Mar-18 13:24:30

I love Lisa Gardners books. Great fictional crime. I've read them all apart from the new one she's just released smile

Papergirl1968 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:09:53

Currently halfway through Sheila O’ Flanagan’s latest, What Happened That Night, which is good.
I like Dorothy Koomson, Lisa Jewell and Liane Moriaty too.
Nicholas Sparks for romance but not too soppy.
Nicholas Evans who wrote the Horse Whisperer has written some other crackers too.
Jeffrey Archer’s Clifton Chronicles series, although his books tend to have male main characters.

800msprint Tue 13-Mar-18 20:19:05

Excellent thank you. I will browse the library tomorrow.

MyKingdomForACaramel Tue 13-Mar-18 22:25:16

Tana French,Sharon’s Bolton and Belinda Bauer

Bosabosa Tue 13-Mar-18 22:35:30

For holiday reading, crime but quite light, try the Lake District mysteries by Rebecca Tope. The Windermere Witness is the first one.

whirlygirly Wed 14-Mar-18 20:32:21

Just finished Gillian mcAllister's latest and highly recommend it. I thought I remembered her being on here somewhere.

I've just bought conversations with friends which looks brilliant. Currently reading Copy Cat by Alex Lake which is one of those treats of a book I can't put down.

I subscribe to e book bub and can't recommend it highly enough. I get an email full of deals each day and there's usually something interesting to buy for 99p, including new releases and some decent non fiction too. My kindle is rammed.

justanotheruser18 Tue 20-Mar-18 19:57:41

A bit late in responding but I recommend Tami Hoag's crime books. They aren't too dark but always stay with me after I've finished them.

AlecOrAlonzo Tue 20-Mar-18 20:14:48

Caimh McDonnell The Dublin Trilogy and the prequel are excellent. Very funny and dark.

Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series and the follow up to Life After Life which is called A God in Ruins.

Christopher Brookmyre his Angel X books are brilliant. Also the ones with the PI Jasmine. I love his main series with Jack Parlabane too. Maybe avoid the sci-fi ones.

Ellie Griffiths the Dr Ruth Galloway series. All about a forensic archaeologist in Norfolk. I really enjoyed these. Very quick and absorbing.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is also excellent.

CaptainNelson Wed 21-Mar-18 23:13:42

Alec, I was just about to suggest the same Atkinson books!
For the Adichie line, Noviolet Bulawayo, We need new names. Really recommend that one, along the lines of Americanah.

strawberrysparkle Wed 21-Mar-18 23:15:28

Dorothy looms on

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: