Talk

Advanced search

Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd

(4 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Fri 23-Feb-18 01:20:31

Has anyone read this. If so please tell me whether I should continue to struggle with it?

OP’s posts: |
PomBearWithAnOFRS Fri 23-Feb-18 01:42:08

I read it and did enjoy it, but I am a nerd and liked knowing that it was about "real people" even if the actual plot was fictional - also, I do a lot of quizzing, both playing and writing, and I got a lot of historical detail from it.
If you are a bit of a history buff, carry on, but if you aren't enjoying it, leave it.
Reading is supposed to be for pleasure (apart from school textbooks!) so just give up grin find something you do enjoy instead.
Life's too short... grin

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 23-Feb-18 15:20:45

I've read it and was pretty underwhelmed by it. It's a lot better than his 'Frankenstein' one though!

HappydaysArehere Sun 25-Feb-18 19:49:43

Thank you PomBear. I am pleased you enjoyed it and got something out of it. We have lots of Peter Ackroyd books but they have all been factual. I am finding this one hard work without any rewards, if you know what I mean. Well, Remus you did well to plough on to the end. I am taking PomBear’s suggestion to put it aside and read something else. Pity C.J. Sansom hasn’t written any more books of late.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in