Talk

Advanced search

Did you ever read a book as a teen/young adult that touched your soul

(72 Posts)
cleofatra Thu 15-Feb-18 18:12:47

But if you read it now, it would probably not affect you in the same way?
For me:
Still Life with Woodpecker
Winters Tale (lol)

Poshindevon Thu 15-Feb-18 19:12:55

The walls came tumbling down
By Henriette Roosenburg

EarlessToothlessVagabond Thu 15-Feb-18 21:07:19

Summer of my German soldier by Bette Green.
God I loved it at 14/15. I bought it recently and couldn't read it. I loved Anton in it as a teen but he seemed sappy and unrealistic as an adult. Sigh. sad

Synecdoche Thu 15-Feb-18 21:14:51

I've never forgotten reading 'Stargirl' by Jerry Spinelli or 'Apocalypse' by Tim Bowler.

elliejjtiny Thu 15-Feb-18 21:17:56

Forever by Judy Bloom

MothershipG Thu 15-Feb-18 21:41:00

Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land made a big impression on me as a teen, thought his ideas were so innovative and ahead of their time and radical. Such a disappointment when I reread it as an adult to find it not nearly as deep as I'd thought and somewhat sexist.

par05 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:49:02

I read a lot of Virginia Andrews when I was a teenager.. And flowers in the attic I thought was so sad! And how could a parent do that to their children. I don't think it would quite have the same affect on me now though.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 15-Feb-18 21:51:27

Young teenager: A Ring of Endless Light (Madeleine L'Engle)

Older teenager: Woman on the Edge of Time (Marge Piercy)

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 15-Feb-18 21:54:50

If I read them now, the first would seem too saccharine.

I think the second might still hold its own, although she did have some ideas about gender identity that I would now read with a more critical eye.

FawnDrench Thu 15-Feb-18 22:27:48

The grapes of wrath by John Steinbeck which I read in my late teens.

It was and I think still is the most harrowing, emotional, vivid and powerfully written book I have ever read.

cleofatra Fri 16-Feb-18 07:48:45

I also remember loving the Dune Trilogy when I was at school. I think it was that day's Harry Potter in some ways. We waited and waited for the next edition and lined up to get it first

lastqueenofscotland Fri 16-Feb-18 12:14:06

Brideshead Revisited

cleofatra Fri 16-Feb-18 12:26:22

Also for me Candide

deste Fri 16-Feb-18 18:47:18

Maiden voyage by Tania Aebi. The most inspirational book I have ever written. Every teenager should read it.

aRespectableBureaudeChange Fri 16-Feb-18 19:07:21

Virginia Woolf - Night and Day - read a number of times 30 years ago and very special to me, but apprehensive of re-reading in case I'm disappointed. Enjoyed every aspect and particularly the insight into characters' thinking when apart and how when they came together the interactions didn't measure up as such.

I was working in Bloomsbury/Kingsway at the time and loved reading about streets I was walking down every day and suffragette movement. Not difficult to read at all, which some imagine and put off by The Waves' etc.

In fact, this thread has made me decide I will re read at some stage this year and find out how I feel.

NoFoxLeftToGive Fri 16-Feb-18 19:17:32

A book by Bryce Courtenay about his adult son who died.

I've since read that he fabricated a lot of the events and/or painted himself in a favourable light so it's ruined it for me really.

fuzzyfozzy Fri 16-Feb-18 19:23:47

The outsiders

lizzlebizzle33 Fri 16-Feb-18 19:46:52

Catcher in the rye

happypotamus Thu 22-Feb-18 08:16:32

Prozac nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel and Girl Interrupted by susanna Kaysen. My soul was a dark and miserable place.

MarshaBradyo Thu 22-Feb-18 08:19:00

The Outsider - Albert Camus

MarshaBradyo Thu 22-Feb-18 08:27:26

I read quite seriously back then, although I enjoyed The Handmaid’s Tale much more recently

Quickerthanavicar Thu 22-Feb-18 08:41:14

The Outsiders S E Hinton
and The Pinballs by Betsy Byers

SleepingStandingUp Thu 22-Feb-18 08:43:05

Dear Nobody, although I've not read it as an adult

MirandaWest Thu 22-Feb-18 08:46:41

I remember reading that book as a teenager too. Also haven’t read it in years.

FeedtheTree Thu 22-Feb-18 08:46:50

I read All Quiet On The Western Front when I was a teenager. Profoundly moving.
And L'Etranger which is a great book but not very helpful to teens who are quick to adopt the 'nothing matters' philosophy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: