Talk

Advanced search

Ngaio Marsh fans

(7 Posts)
tobee Thu 08-Feb-18 17:19:42

I've just been watching a dvd of The Inspector Alleyn Mysteries. They are from the early 90s, with Patrick Malahide and Belinda Lang.

Do you think they should do them again? Who could be cast as Alleyn and Troy? I really like Malahide as an actor, and for the most part, he carries it off well, but there's a lot of stuff about him being so handsome, which, while Malahide is attractive, he's not really strikingly handsome. Plus he's wearing a bit of a dodgy toupee, and I keep staring at his hairline! Simon Williams was in the pilot but wasn't available for the series. He's more obviously good looking but it's hard to judge how he would have been in a whole series.

Sorry if this a bit shallow! smile

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 08-Feb-18 17:23:10

How old is Alleyn in the books, I can't remember?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 08-Feb-18 17:24:06

Was thinking Richard Armitage but who to play Troy?

tobee Thu 08-Feb-18 17:35:04

Good question. Can't remember his age. Richard Armitage certainly fits the handsome bill!

I always think Alleyn and Troy are slightly tricky ones to work out. Haven't read them for a bit but seeing this old adaptation made me surprised they haven't done them again. TV channels are always suckers for period tec dramas.

HerBigChance Thu 08-Feb-18 18:16:25

I do really like those adaptations though. I think Death in a White Tie is probably my favourite. I think Patrick Malahide has a lovely speaking voice

tobee Thu 08-Feb-18 19:48:31

Death in a White Tie was what I was watching! Heard Benedict Cummerbatch reading an abridged version a while ago and meant to watch it, just got round to it.

tobee Fri 09-Feb-18 02:43:37

Just as an aside, as I said, Simon Williams played Alleyn in the pilot. The Brer Fox was the same, though: William Simons. Strikes me as quite the coincidence!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: