Talk

Advanced search

Just read the whole Chronicles of St Mary's series. What next?

(39 Posts)
nottakenpersonally Tue 06-Feb-18 18:54:16

Real life is quite disappointing!

I found it due to an Amazon advert, the first book was 99p.

If anyone else enjoyed it, can you recommend anything else for me to read please?

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 07-Feb-18 00:38:16

I too tend to mourn when I finish each one grin
Have you read the "Laundry Files" series by Charles Stross?
Or the "Rivers of London" series by Ben Aaronovitch? I like both of those.

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 07-Feb-18 20:58:09

I love the Chronicles of St Mary's.
Haven't found anything else quite like it.

busyboysmum Wed 07-Feb-18 21:02:38

Try The Company series by Kage Baker.

www.goodreads.com/series/41665-the-company

nottakenpersonally Wed 14-Feb-18 15:40:57

Ooh thanks for the suggestions! Will look them up on my Kindle later.

MillicentMargaretAmanda Wed 14-Feb-18 22:29:00

Real life is indeed disappointing. Too much St Mary's has also left me with a deep and abiding suspicion of anyone who drinks coffee...

Sonotkylie Sat 17-Feb-18 12:42:50

Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series. About a PC who is also a trainee wizard. Similar 'feel' - humour, slightly odd, blend of real and unreal - if not time travel and history based. Depends what grabbed you about St Mary's.

Sonotkylie Sat 17-Feb-18 12:43:38

Sorry, should say I second Ben Aaronovitch. Was in my head but not my typing ...

GoneFishing123 Sat 17-Feb-18 12:48:10

Have just finished book 7. Properly sobbed over the fall out over the sword. The way she writes just sucks you in and rides rough shod over your emotions.

Just about to download book 8 now grin

GoneFishing123 Sat 17-Feb-18 12:49:29

<wonders if DrMadeleineMaxwell will find this fred>

DrMadelineMaxwell Sat 17-Feb-18 18:37:44

Waves.

I do love the books and the whole world it's built around.

I also have really enjoyed...
The Kate Daniels 'Magic Bites' series. In fact practically everything by Ilona Andrews - the Inkeeper books are a lovely read too.
The Templar series.
The Charley Davidson books - First Grave on the left (or right, I forget)
The Marnie Baranuik series - lots of swearing, but very funny
Grave Secret/Ice cold grave etc by whoever wrote the Sookie books - again, I forget.

DrMadelineMaxwell Sat 17-Feb-18 18:37:50

Waves.

I do love the books and the whole world it's built around.

I also have really enjoyed...
The Kate Daniels 'Magic Bites' series. In fact practically everything by Ilona Andrews - the Inkeeper books are a lovely read too.
The Templar series.
The Charley Davidson books - First Grave on the left (or right, I forget)
The Marnie Baranuik series - lots of swearing, but very funny
Grave Secret/Ice cold grave etc by whoever wrote the Sookie books - again, I forget.

nottakenpersonally Wed 21-Feb-18 16:47:10

DrMaxell, it's Charlaine Harris I think you mean!
I have read those, and Ilona Andrews.
Good suggestions thanks.

Have downloaded one Kage book and one Ben A book.

NeverEverAnythingEver Wed 21-Feb-18 18:32:38

I love the Rivers of London books! Will be checking out the series mentioned here.

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 21-Feb-18 21:57:25

Yes, it's Charlaine Harris - had a mental block there!

lucysnowe Thu 22-Feb-18 20:53:49

Connie Willis for sure! To Say Nothing of the Dog is funny, Doomsday Book not so much (!) but it's lovely and moving.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Fri 23-Mar-18 20:33:32

I’m reading them all again atm. Even though I know what will happen I’m still absolutely hooked!
Seriously these books are so addictive! I’ve no idea why but I’ve read nearly 3 books this week! 😂

Rivers of London series is fab
London falling is also good - needs the story arc completing though
The invisible library are fab too
Thursday next series by jasper fforde - although they went off the boil for me after a few books.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 23-Mar-18 23:18:20

Thank you to those on this thread for the Rivers of London recommendation. Have read them all since seeing them mentioned on this thread. They're not quite the same as the CoSM, but have a similar (British) humour.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 23-Mar-18 23:30:12

The Untied Kingdom is a stand alone, not a series, but I enjoyed it and it was sort of similar, although more of an alternative history.

Lollypop701 Fri 23-Mar-18 23:35:25

Loving this thread

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 11-Apr-18 21:20:10

Thank you to @DrMadelineMaxwell for the Marnie Baranuik recommendation. I'm on my third one. The swearing doesn't bother me, although they're a bit gruesome in places. Love the humour though.

MillicentMargaretAmanda Fri 13-Apr-18 18:42:10

Just making sure everyone knows that the latest Chronicles came out on Tuesday and that there's a short story due out on the 23rd grin

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Fri 13-Apr-18 18:50:42

I’ve nearly finished it. 😄 Spent a long time worrying about the direction things were going but it’s ok now.

Not sure what to read next tho...

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 18-Apr-18 15:16:33

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. The Checquy is a secret government agency, a little like the Ministry of Magic and a lot like the Gestapo. Myfanwy Thomas is a senior adept/administrator who wakes up in a park surrounded by dead bodies, with no memories. Then it gets weird.

RubySlippers77 Wed 18-Apr-18 15:20:34

I also enjoyed the Lockwood & Co series (Jonathan Stroud). Technically it's YA fiction but so much fun, like St Mary's!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: