Talk

Advanced search

The grapes of wrath

(14 Posts)
CisCucumber Sat 13-Jan-18 22:49:26

One of my all time favourite books
I lump it in my mind with To kill a mockingbird and The poisonwood bible
Only because I read them around the same time
I often see the other 2 in top reads and recommend lists but rarely see the grapes of wrath

MsAmerica Sun 14-Jan-18 00:29:06

Mockingbird is such an easy read that it's assigned to schoolkids.

Grapes of Wrath, though, is a hard slog. It's long. It's adult language. And it alternates plot chapters with broader chapters. And overall, it's depressing, not heartwarming.

I'm not surprised that fewer people read it. I think it took me two or three times to get myself to get through it - and even that was spurred largely because I love the movie so much. Too bad, right? Because it's very worthwhile.

CisCucumber Sun 14-Jan-18 08:01:03

I read them both as an adult so I hadn't thought of it like that, thank you
Lots of people have read mocking bird for English lit so much more widely read

Bolshybookworm Sun 14-Jan-18 08:12:08

I’m a huge Steinbeck fan but I did find the long section on cars quite hard going. It’s a very powerful book though.
My favourite book is East Of Eden. It doesn’t pack the same punch but I love the many interlinking tales centred around the twins, it’s so rich. I love Cathy (well, not literally!) and her grey room.

MiddlingMum Wed 17-Jan-18 21:10:49

The Grapes of Wrath is one of my three favourite books of all time. I usually read it about once a year and always get something new from it. I love the structure, the "story" chapters interspersed with the others. Much of the plot and anger Steinbeck displayed is still relevant today.

I don't want to see the movie as it will be different from the images I have in my mind from the book.

Bedknobsandhoover Thu 18-Jan-18 19:45:43

I read this while pregnant with my first baby. I always blamed it for the poor child’s state of mind, he cried for most of his first five years.
It’s a great powerful book but so depressing.

Feawen Thu 18-Jan-18 20:33:10

I read The Grapes of Wrath in my teens and it isn’t a book I ever expect to revisit. Reading about the Joads sliding into ever worse misery and deprivation was a horrible experience. I appreciate that the book represents a real chapter in human history, and that it’s important and interesting from a socio-economic perspective, and even that there’s value in reading about human suffering. But I can’t imagine enjoying it!

I don’t love To Kill a Mockingbird either but it isn’t nearly so relentlessly grim. The Poisonwood Bible deals with hardship and injustice, and how they can shape human nature for better or worse, but there are characters who lead fulfilling lives (albeit some in harsh circumstances). It isn’t such a bitter pill as The Grapes of Wrath by a long chalk.

museumum Thu 18-Jan-18 20:38:18

I read it for my final English project at school so around 17/18. I really liked it. Haven’t read it since but parts stayed with me. Maybe should read it again.

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Fri 19-Jan-18 19:58:39

Huge Steinbeck fan as well Bolshy I think East of Eden is my favourite too

SallyLockhartsDog Fri 19-Jan-18 20:13:33

Massive massive Steinbeck fan. I wanted to call DD Rose of Sharon

Grapes of wrath is my favourite but can only read it every 5 or so years and only i life is going well grin.

East of Eden is so powerful and I dip in and out of it every year. Cathy is creepy perfection.

SallyLockhartsDog Fri 19-Jan-18 20:13:57

Massive massive Steinbeck fan. I wanted to call DD Rose of Sharon

Grapes of wrath is my favourite but can only read it every 5 or so years and only i life is going well grin.

East of Eden is so powerful and I dip in and out of it every year. Cathy is creepy perfection.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 19-Jan-18 21:36:40

I didn't enjoy Grapes, but I loved "of mice and men", I gave up on poisonwood, I enjoyed TKAM, but wasn't wowed by it.
I'm honestly not wanting to be rude but I'm not sure what this thread is about.
It comes across as you saying people should read these books and love them?
I have a 16yr old who I've bought books for, she wouldn't read, wasn't remotely interested, and yet now is reading all of Lord of the rings, which I'd never touch, not my thing.
I find, "you must read this", attitudes put people off reading.

SallyLockhartsDog Sat 20-Jan-18 20:39:30

I'm honestly not wanting to be rude but I'm not sure what this thread is about.

It's in the what we're reading section...so quite appropriate for op to post about what she has been reading and then reference two other books of a similar genre?

fleaflyflo Sat 20-Jan-18 20:47:17

Grapes of Wrath is my all time favourite book.
Read it at school a gazillion years ago and the story never left me. So harrowing yet such strength of human spirit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now