Talk

Advanced search

How many books are you reading at the moment?

(5 Posts)
Cherrypi Sat 13-Jan-18 14:46:43

I’m currently reading eight and I’m not starting anymore till I’ve finished one.

One is a children’s book. Four non fiction - one is essays, one a diary and one I forgot I was reading. A fiction I started five years ago but have reread from the beginning this year. Then there’s a Christmas non fiction that I’ll finish next Christmas when I’m in the mood and a fiction that I didn’t finish before having to return it to the library as someone had reserved it.

Anyone else a multiple reader? Lots of people seem to read one at a time and read more efficiently that way.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 13-Jan-18 17:53:54

It depends. Sometimes I start a few, but then one will take over until I finish it when I get engrossed. If I’m reading a paperback I will also have a Kindle book on the go too so I can read when I can’t have a book eg it’s too dark, or not much space in bag.

Currently I am 50 pages into the 3nf Game of Thrones, halfway through a non fiction book about Octopuses, which I am interested in finishing but find I have to read it little and often as there is only so much octopus one can swallow in one gulp, but my main book is This Thing of Darkness. I started another at same time and finished that one first because it was an easier read, but now I’m into it I won’t start another until I finish. So yes, but only to an extent in answer to your question. I like to get into something and can’t do that with too many other competing narratives going on.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 13-Jan-18 17:54:54

That’s meant to say 2nd; not whatever 3nf is.

mstrotwood Sat 13-Jan-18 18:39:53

Five active, four 'passive'.

The main book is fiction (reread of Middlemarch). Next to that I'm also reading two collections of poetry, one book of essays, and one play that I'm rereading with footnotes (Shakespeare).

It works well for me to have the choice between different genres depending on my mood and energy levels.

Books on hold that I might pick up again: two non-fiction and two fiction (one is Moby Dick ... )

CramptonHodnet Sat 13-Jan-18 19:43:36

Two at present. But sometimes it can be up to four including a non-fiction, a fiction kindle book, audiobook and something I'm reading to the DC. No more than that or my concentration levels would be shot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now