Talk

Advanced search

"Literary Fiction in Crisis" article this morning

(6 Posts)
Ellisisland Fri 15-Dec-17 09:32:41

I read this article this morning

www.theguardian.com/books/2017/dec/15/literary-fiction-in-crisis-as-sale-drop-dramatically-arts-council-england-reports

Essentially it says that the fiction industry is struggling and book sales are almost half what they were last year. I found it quite surprising, but I guess I live in a book bubble where I also buy books and so do lots of people I know. To see this though, particularly about the writers who cannot afford to write is quite depressing. Just wondered what others thought about it?

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 15-Dec-17 16:49:47

I suppose it makes sense - even big readers struggle with the bombardment of other media, specifically online, so it must impact heavily more generally. I was thinking the other day on the bus I was the only one reading, everyone had their phones out. Same on holiday on the beach - few people reading but mainly phones.

I’m like you, always on the book threads talking to others who read, I buy books and share them with family, use the library but also the Kindle a lot. I used to find it easy to strike up a casual conversation with someone about reading, but less so now.

VanderlyleGeek Fri 15-Dec-17 20:29:46

The article's focus, though, is on literary fiction, which is a bit problematic for me. Genre fiction, particularly romance, has driven the publishing industry for years. Why is lit fic the genre that sets the industry measure? (And, why is The Time-Traveler's Wife considered lit fic?!?)

Talith Fri 15-Dec-17 20:33:49

Literary fiction is largely turgid, worthy, awful wank, in my opinion as a educated reader. Publishing is a very strange world.

Swirlingasong Fri 15-Dec-17 20:55:51

I don't buy nearly as many books as I used to. This is mainly because I had children and my time to read them dramatically reduced. However, in the time period the article is talking about, I have also acquired a kindle and the ability to download huge quantities or free or very cheap 19th/ early 20th century fiction that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to get hold of. Ten years or so ago the book market was quite limited from a consumer point of view - you went to waterstones, a limited range of books was promoted, everybody read them. People now have so much more choice easily available. Surely this must have an impact?

Cherrypi Sat 16-Dec-17 08:28:53

It’s strange such a sudden drop. Is everyone reading the news recently instead of novels?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: